How To Grind Rims

Ben Beckett

me and my mate had a little practice on an old rim which i don't know what is..just shit is all i can say, anyway i grinded it and tested it on the front of my trials bike with zoo! freen pads and it didn't work very well (compared to my smooth mavic d521.) is this because of the mavic is a completely better rim, or because the grind was shit, or??

here is a pic of the ground rim;

far back view;

IPB Image

close up;

IPB Image

this was my 1st ever go at grinding a rim, i don't think its a harsh grind, but more of a light one!?!!???

can someone put a reply on how to grind and/or links to tutorials, videos etc!

thanks a lot guys!!

Maybe try pads there are meant for a grind? The zoo's generally wear out too fast and from other peoples bikes i've seen, they run better on a smooth rim.

A good way to get a savage grind is to tilt the grinder to an angle of around 10-15 degrees and rub it up and down on an old rim, on both sides of the grinding disc. this will crate a sharp point on the edge of the disc.

Now get your decent rim and hold the grinder at 90 degrees to it and use a medium amount of pressure and swipe across the rim. This will produce a sharp and very harsh grindwhich is prone to wearing down pad material very fast, as you go round the rim keep sharpening the disc up using the old rim again when the grind seems a little dull and it'll keep the grind fairly even around the whole rim.

For a lighter grind hold the grinder at about 45 degrees and lightly skim over the surface of the rim using fast strokes in a clockwise direction.... the fast stokes seperate out the grooves more and create a better surface for the pads to grip to. You'll want to cover about 4-6 inches with one swift stroke movement.

For a medium grind hold the grinder between 70-90 degrees and apply a light-medium amount of pressure using slightly slower strokes than with the light grind.

Have a play and find which suits you best ;)

What disc did you use, what angle dod you have the grinder at?

Zoo Green pads work on grinds, i's running them on the back right now!

Mavic rims are the best as the metal is amazing. They hold a grind really well and i've never had pads slip on a Mavic thats been ground.

You need to push harder on the rim, 45 to 90* angle withthe disc so you using the tip, drag it back and froth in 10'' kinda sections.

I use an old set of forks, spin the wheel up and do it that way as i get a perfect grind then!

I think it's the way you've done it but it's pendate on the disc, speed, angle

I must say by looking at the picture that a half decent grind for your frist attempt.

The best way to put a grind on your rim:

Step1: Make sure your using an appropriate grinding disc.

Step2: Put the wheel in a vice and spin.

Step3: Apply the grinder to the rim at 45-90 degrees angle whilst moving the grinder back and forth,

once you done this simply flip it over and repeat the same for the other side.

Darren

Edited by minicrack

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh! lookie! i looked and i found... kewl! when you say what disc do you use are we talking steel disc/cuting/slitting/grinding?

Do rims wear away quick with a grinder?, as in do you have be real carefull or just wade in all guns blazing so to speak?

Edited by navara man

Ooh! lookie! i looked and i found... kewl! when you say what disc do you use are we talking steel disc/cuting/slitting/grinding?

Do rims wear away quick with a grinder?, as in do you have be real carefull or just wade in all guns blazing so to speak?

They wear away yes, but generally not too quick. My last rim died with 30+ grinds under its belt, some light, some really light and some a bit too harsh than was really neccessary.