Pc Start Up Problem..

rich4130

Yea, think its the psu, 250watt, I've got an old pc, stolen a plug, plugged the hdd in my newer pc into it, and it seems to work.

Just get a cheapy dabs one and be done with it. hopefullyy.

yeah - you'll have been overdriving it and now it'll be worn out. a high end graphics card can eat 100W - just to give you an idea like.

don't buy a cheap PSU - it powers your machine, it's not something to skimp on.

How much grunt you need depends on spec.

I'd be inclined to go for a 400W if you have a basic system - for a gaming machine you're looking at 600W with an SLI ready sticker on the box,

And remember, the Wattage on the box isnt what the box kicks out! Its a peak level, its usually 2/3 of what is labelled...unless ALL the power is needed...in that case your PSU will have half the lifespan.

I'm running a Tagan (700W), but on the expensive side, but well worth it.

Agreed with Poo, Cheap PSU = Problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to steal the thread, but figured it would be better to post here than clog up the place with another:

My girlfriend's laptop is buggered, constantly blue screening etc (usually shortly after booting up) so I'm thinking it's probably best to format it and reinstall everything.

Good idea?

Also, it has a legit copy of Windows on it, as it was bought new from Dell (it's an Inspiron 2200 if it makes any difference to anything) but didn't come with a Windows CD obviously, so I would need to get hold of a copy to reinstall it. Any suggestions? Don't really want to have to pay for it really as it should all be ok.

Need to sort it within the next few days if possible as I'm going home at the weekend and won't see her again 'til a round New Year :(

Thanks for any help you can give!

Luke

Sounds like a BIOS problem to me.

Find out your motherboard make / model (should be printed on the board somewhere), go to the support website for it and download the lasist BIOS for it. flash the PROM with the new BIOS and it may fix the problem.

Have you checked the PC case for condesation? At this time of yea humidity could cause problems......

If you need a walk through falshing the BIOS post your motherboard make / model on here and ill talk you through it :lol:

Gigabyte GA-7VTX Series, with VIA KT266 chipset.

It has dual bios though? and apparently you update it via a programme that runs in windows..

Is there anyway I can bypass the on/off switch in the case to eliminate this?

EDIT;

also, the harddisk(s) only spin, when the pc is on, if I disconnect the IDE lead :S

Edited by rich4130