Chainring Problems

kid creole

hi i've got a problem i just bought a onza/kmc kool chain the 3/32 size , it gets caught on the teeth of the front chainring so instead of going along the chain line it gets draged down or up depending on which direction i turn the pedals , when pedalling forwards it got draged all the way up till it was caught between the chainstay and that locked the pedals completely like i had the brake on and took a bit of the frame off.

before this i was using the 1/8 kool chain and had no trouble and have used a shimano 3/32 chain with no trouble

hope somone can help with a solution cheers (Y)

i have the cranks and chainring from the holroyd

Edited by Alain

Sounds to me like the kool chain is to small for your mtb sprocket. I think that is the trouble your having. Like you said your not having any trouble with the shimano chain as it's long enough to wrap around the sprocket. It seems that your not running single speed?

Remmeber that chains are different lengths and widths.

Still i'm a little confused to why BOTH kool chains wouldn't run properly.

Sounds very much like 'chain suck' - which you can get from using a new chain with an old chainring. You could buy a new front chainring which will almost certainly stop it, or just see if it settles down a bit as the chain wears in.

Thought I'd ask in here - I have a Kool chain, it came with my bike. It doesn't have a joining link like sram chains, so how do you join the chain?

Do you just join it with a chain tool? - I've heard that the links are not very strong if you do that?

Yes, you can just use a chain tool. As long as you join it properly it'll be much stronger than a powerlink in a SRAM chain. But I though the Kool chains came with a little BMX split link? Maybe that's just the BMX (wide) ones. Like this:

IPB Image

yeah i was thinking of buying a new chainring , but cant work out how the old one comes off. its a 18 tooth chainring and it screwed onto a thread but theres no were to put a removal tool , is it just a case of taking a saw to it ????

also are the threads all a standerd size

Edited by Alain

I had exactly the same problem, and the way i solved it was buying the right size chainring for the chain, but my problem was more to do with the fact that the other cr was nackered! I know how you feel, just get the same size ring as your chain is, e.g. 1/8 chain with 1/8 chainring. :)

Hope that helps

How come you didn't just get a 1/8th Kool in the first place? :ermm:

i wish i had done now, basically i heard the 3/32 was stronger becouse the pins dont bend around the thinner teeth of the sprokets and at the time i never thought it would get stuck on the chainring as i had used other 3/32 chains also i use a mech as a tensioner so i thought it would be cool to take the spacers out and put it back how it s supposed to be , anyway moral of the story is " if it aint broke dont fix it "

anyway moral of the story is " if it aint broke dont fix it "

Amen

Yeah, I did make that sound easy ^_^ but in reality its a bitch to get off, but that's the method, the problem comes with the amount of force you have to put into it!

Anyway, it sounds like you're chainring is warn so you're chain doesn't match it (not its width, the spacing between the teeth) so a new chainring would be best really. The reason that the shimano 3/32th chain worked is that it was probably a little stretched too, so was warn to match your warn chainring.