Bb Thread Gone :(

1handedluke

hello all,

the thread on my BB inside my frame has all striped, i've tried some PDFT tape and super glue to hold it in, but that didn't hold as execpted lol, is there any kind of bodge job i can do it make it stay in there? just until i can offord a new frame?

thanks luke

chewing gum? try retapping, ring tarty ask for advice, i wouldnt try bodging a bottom bracket thread, just make it worse and total your frame, which will end up costing more in the long run when you could of just ogt it sorted properly in the first place.

Surely you can only re-tap it if it's just been cross-threaded or something. If the threads have stripped then the hole in the bottom bracket shell will be slightly bigger than it needs to be to have new threads tapped. If you catch my drift........

Yes, but when you have it RE-Tapped they make new threads, then give it a very thin sleeve the size of the tap in the first place :D So they make it the original size anyway. I see where your coming from, but theyve already taken that into account :D

Hope that helps :wink2:

Yes, but when you have it RE-Tapped they make new threads, then give it a very thin sleeve the size of the tap in the first place :D So they make it the original size anyway. I see where your coming from, but theyve already taken that into account :D

Hope that helps :wink2:

Yeh fair enough, didn't know about the whole sleeve thing. Learn something new every day :rolleyes:

There was some guy (partz maybe? Terror Error, one or the other) who recommended some shizzle from B&Q, a mix that you apply to the BB shell, insert the BB and it will never come out...apparently.

So, I'd suggest this method, buy yourself a nice, indestructable BB (SKF!!!) and have it glued in place...then start saving for a new bike.

i always throught when you get it re-tapped it it goes up a size, therefor the BB wouldn't fit?!?

Its usually done to straighten damaged threads, so basically forces the material back in line. However, you can tap a new thread to a well and truely fecked one, although you're supposed to go one size up, so yes, if you did this the BB wouldnt fit.

Not so sure helicoiling would work either, with it being so big, chances are it'd all fall apart the next time the BB was removed, plus if the thread has actually all gone, the helicoil will have nothing to 'grip to'.

I have no idea if it would work on something this size...

but my friend striped the threads in his back Magura mount and he had this plastic metal....

its 2 layers of plastic ish type material and when you mix together if forms into a metal, he pushed that into his mount and then had it tapped/drilled back out again.

ill try find out what its called, since its not very useful with out

Will

But his mount is as good as new now...

aAaldite will hold it in and you'll never get it out again. (Y)

If you've stripped the thread's re-tapping won't help on it's own, you'd need an insert as mentioned above. If it's cross threaded and there is till some material there, re-tapping might help to straighten out the problem, but is probobly unlikely.

The best way to sort these problems is to never cross thread a BB, it's really not that hard..

Chemical Metal. I'd be very suprised if it would work on a BB to be honest, its a fairly soft material when its solidified. It's find for maggy mounts are they're small and the leverage is fairly small.

I was going to say that - I don't need to now.

If the threads are stripped the whole way through then the araldite method in Rob's thread is probably your best bet. I doubt helicoiling would be a viable option because it'd involve some fairly severe thinning out of your BB shell - which would cause some serious weakening. If it's only the first few turns of the threads that are chewed up (eg. you were a bit drunk, decided to fit your BB and accidentally forced it when you shouldn't have :- ) then tapping should sort it out , theres a good inch or so of thread for the BB to hold onto so even if 5-6mm is completely destroyed it'll probably be perfectly fine

They can't form to actualy make a metal, unless they are metal, but I have heard of sdhisives and things that become as strong as some metals. Give argos racing cycles a ring, they do BB sleaving for £55, cheeper than a new frame, and is a permenant fix. Will mean you can sell the frame second hand aswell when you do get a new one.

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

Really though? How can you let it get to the stage were it's f**ked? It's as simple as turning it in the opposite direction and waiting for a click.

by drinking

if there's dirt in the threads it can destroy them, if the BB itself has knackered threads the same can happen .

In my case it was a combination of drinking and knackered threads on the BB itself.

Had I been sober I would have prepared everything properly and done a proper check of all the threads. Goes to show there's no substitute for preperation.

The root cause of all of this is that threaded BBs are a f**king stupid idea - particularly on aluminium frames. I'd grind the threads out of my frame and run a spanish BB if I could find one with the right sized hole for my cranks

You can also get Bbs that thread into themselves so don't require a thread in the frame. There's only one problem.......I can't remember who does them.

There aren't any decent ones - at least there wasn't when I looked. I believe Acor do/did one. I wouldn't bother - I'd probably try the Araldite method.

got some of that stuff, the double tubed stuff, just put it on and letting it dry all tonight, im gonna try ride it tomorrow and ill tell you what happened, cheers guys!x

Yeh if it's not araldite it's the same principle. Check the instructions but i'd probobly leave it for a good 24 hours before riding, so i wudn't advise riding first thing if that's what you were hoping for, sorry :$