Petition For Open Air Skate/bike Park

planet x alan

well basically i have spoke to a few people now and we are all serious about making a petition for an open air skate park in our town, after being moved on from all the half decent spots tonight and being seen as nuicences by the older folk etc. i have already got a fair few people who say they will sign. and im gonna pop into the local schools maybe and get some signatures from there. just wondering who do i adress it to? local MP? and how would i word it? and how could i be sure that they dont just put some concrete and put a shitty pre-fab metal half pipe that will be total gash. everyone i spoke to said a concrete one would be lush thats skaters, trials riders, street riders, free riders, bmxer and in liner.

basically all help and views would be appreciated

cheers dudes and dudettes

alan ^_^

Urm, I'm sure MBUK gave advise regarding this kind of subject many issues ago... so er` dig em out! And try and get some parents involved, it's sad but they may carry a bit more `political` weight as there paying the rates and voting these people in.

I dunno, I'm tired... goodluck though! :-

Approach the council saying we want one, then present a petition. Just make one up on word, print a laod out and go get it signed by everyone around. People who move you on, parents, people outside tesco or wherever you ride, schoolmates, teachers.

thanks for the replies. do you reckon i should write about the bike trials sport etc so they understand what it is before they tell us to f**k off to the local in-door park which dont let us in half the time and costs £4 for 2 hours?

obviously there aint enough trials riders in the area for just a strictly trials place but theres enough freeriders and street riders and skaters and stuff i reckon to win them over, and yeah thanks for the advise for getting some parents etc to sign also, i will go down to the local kids playground which is our main riding spot and ask some parents to sign. and get some mates parents, mates mates etc.

thanks again

I'm not saying your in no way incapable of organising this etc, but try and get a parent to back you up (write it or sign it) , in the letter you send to the council, accompanied by the petition. I'd imagine they would only move their arse if it was coming from an adult. Don't take that the wrong way... I don't even know how old you are?

PS: That indoor skatepark you could use might put a spanner in the works though, although if it's privately ran, I don't see why the council should have a problem coughing up some cash! What have they done for your area? I'm sure every council has funds for sport and leisure blah, blah!

Again, goodluck and blag some names if you don't get enough! :P

Edited by Concussion

I'm not saying your in no way incapable of organising this etc, but try and get a parent to back you up (write it or sign it) , in the letter you send to the council, accompanied by the petition. I'd imagine they would only move their arse if it was coming from an adult. Don't take that the wrong way... I don't even know how old you are?

PS: That indoor skatepark you could use might put a spanner in the works though, although if it's privately ran, I don't see why the council should have a problem coughing up some cash! What have they done for your area? I'm sure every council has funds for sport and leisure blah, blah!

Again, goodluck and blag some names if you don't get enough! :P

im 16, nearly 17 so yeah not voting or paying tax just yet.... but i understand how the private skate park could screw it all up, but they dont let stock bikes in and its an arse on getting a mod bike in, you have to proper lick some arse. and when you go in there its shit and all you do is ride. yeah riding is good and stuff. but i like to sit and chill instead of constantly ride to get my moneysworth out of the huge 2 hours i paid 4 quid for... :ermm: well yeah... and theres no way you will get a freeriding bike in there lol.

If it's privatly ran, then the council should have no excuse to try and sort something out for you. ie: They didn't put shit into providing a place for people to ride/skate/keep people of the streets etc, and surly it is their responcibility to contribute to makeing a safe enviroment for us.... `you` young folk.

Like that issue of MBUK said.... write to the `sport and lesuire` department or something like that, as I'm sure they have money reserved for such things. Or the lottery funds... although I don't know how you get that type of cash admittadly!

Or buy a ticket! haha. It will take some doing though, but why not!

.... night` :turned::sleeping:

There's most likely some sort of 'keep the youths off the street' department of your local council ( we've got one in cambridge ) They probably run some activities around town so I'd advise finding out what they run and going down to a few of them to talk to the organisers in person - if they remember you they're more likely to pay attention to your letters.

Street is different to park. Tell them park is just ramps and street is like replicating street furniture to mess about on. They wont know any difference.

Theyre bastards to deal with, i wish i knew what i do now when i was back sorting out our local skatepark.