?! 2 Freewheels !?

onzadude123

Right i've got a bit of an interesting situation here. My s#*t rear onza hub went bang the other day so I was off riding for a bit until my mate Ben found an old wheel I could use. We took my wheel off, but we couldnt get the 12T cog off my wheel and we couldn't get the old freewheel off his wheel so we tried it with 2 freewheels. :blink: I was adament I was going to take one pedal and the whole thing would fall apart in a big metallic bang, I was completely wrong :o it works absolutely fine ! We were standing there trying to work out how it worked ?! all comments welcome and i can put some photos up if someone would enlighten me as to how to do it, can't figure it out :rolleyes: .

Cheers

Joel W-J

Edited by onzadude123

i sent an email about a freewheel on the front and a cassette hub on the back

to tarty bikes ages ago

they said the engagement would be too slow.

two ffws the same thing ? :S

can you ride backwards without pedling ?

Edited by caspa

can you ride backwards without pedling ?

obviously not, cause he wouldnt be able to pedal forwards other wise...

The 2 freewheels would engage at diffent times, meaning they both have to engagebefore you can start to pedal kick... this means that the engagement would take to long to engage...

In theroy, one freewheel would have to engage, then the other one.

But in reality, one freewheeling device is always freer than the other one, so one freewheel would stay engaged, being a fixed cog.

So yeah it would work. Quite heavy and would have no advantages* but it would work.

* Well, if you got your trousers caught in your front freehweel, the rear one would start freewheeling and it'd save your jeans. But i wouldn't really call that an advantage.

In theroy, one freewheel would have to engage, then the other one.

But in reality, one freewheeling device is always freer than the other one, so one freewheel would stay engaged, being a fixed cog.

So yeah it would work. Quite heavy and would have no advantages* but it would work.

* Well, if you got your trousers caught in your front freehweel, the rear one would start freewheeling and it'd save your jeans. But i wouldn't really call that an advantage.

Yeah i think you kinda hit the nail on the head. We only did it because we had no choice and it was quite fun to see working ! The gear is stupidly light though, 18-12 = (Y) 18-18 (2 freewheels) = (N). I'll try and get some photos up now. thanks for all your comments.

Right, signed uptp Photo bucket and im now officially a me :D, here's a few photos of my contraption...IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Edited by onzadude123

Rite I don’t know if this will help much. I had the same problem about a year ago, what I did was weld around the back freewheel so it was like a solid cog. I don’t really no how to explain it :- but you weld round the ridge that moves. Hope this may have helped.

Luke ^_^

That didn't say that befor. :P

18-18, thats a gear ratio of 1. :o

Yep, lighter than most STOCK ratios! However, as a quick temporary fix I guess it works, so fair play to the guy for trying! :P

Wouldn't want to run dual freewheel for any prolonged period of time personally though, just the thought of the engagement etc scares me, unless you are running some insanely nice freewheels, which would kind of defeat the point I guess!

Have you got it sorted yet? (@ Onzadude123)

Hey, cheers for all your comments, the guy that said welding it up would help, I don't need it, it works fine (apart from the ridiculously low gear ratio !) I've got a new wheel build coming down, Echo '07 Blue rim, same hub and munity black spokes, gonna look mint :D

The enagement on a tryall freewheel is 108 isn't it?

So...

1/108 * 1/108 = 1/engagement

e = 54.

If we're talking theroetically, yes it would, it'd be 54ep. But one's would remain fixed.