Helicoiling

Ben Geary

all 4 of mine went in my python just 3 days after i got it :)......went to an engineer! up in peniston! top bloke £45 for stainless steel threads. I can now jump on my allen keys when tightening brake.

£45! seems quite a steep price for a lil thread... lol could of bought a kit for that?

I don't know why you insist on helicoiling things. I bought a frame with 3 helicoiled mounts from a chap on this forum and they were utter shit. 2 of them came undone with the bolts, and the remaining one burst when I screwed down a bolt.

Do it properly or don't do it at all.

You'll need to have the thread taped to M8, ten just go to a turner and tell him to make you a steel sleeve with an M8 thread on the outside and a M5 on the inside. Screw in with a strong epoxy glue. So far, I have done first thing to 2 frames I got new and it's saved me lots of trouble.

And do it yourself, cost me 2 quid and about an hour to get 8 mounts threads done.

Edited by Inur

I got charged 12 pound for 3 threads. 4 pound each. They didn't want to do the fourth even though i said yeah it would be stronger. But they instisted that it didn't need doing. Few days later back wheel up a wall and the bolt just popped out. Shows how much they know. That was at a bike shop as well.

Chatted to a old mate who's into engineering, looked at the job they done then to say that they really did suck.

Waste of money on my side and i'm never going to that shop again.

You'll need to have the thread taped to M8, ten just go to a turner and tell him to make you a steel sleeve with an M8 thread on the outside and a M5 on the inside. Screw in with a strong epoxy glue. So far, I have done first thing to 2 frames I got new and it's saved me lots of trouble.

And do it yourself, cost me 2 quid and about an hour to get 8 mounts threads done.

Would you be able to send me some of those? Like if i gaave you a tenner for 8 of them or somethign.

So you tapped the mount to M6 meaning that you m6 bolt was touching the (aluminium) frame and you want to helicoil it to M6 or M5?

I have a feeling an M5 helicoil will just turn out when you put it in so to be honest I'd get an m6 HELICOIL set (which will tap to M7 and then the insert will reduce it to M6)

hope that helps :S