Looking After Cycle Shops (support The Sport!)

skuzzbucket

I've been in the cycle trade for a fair time now and have recently found that a lot of the young riders from all sides of cycling have being muttering comments such as:

"get that off the internet its cheaper" and "if you go to thingies" :angry:

What they don't understand is that its getting harder to compete with the growing demand to knock 10,20 or 30% off next years price before the stuff has even landed in the country! :o

My point is, as an employee of a small business, we need to support the local shops. We've all seen places come and go, we need to show our support or we'll end up with a high street full of mass market rubbish at over the top prices.

I love my sport and my job and will continue to serve my fellow riders to the best that i can, i just ask that you do the same with your local cycle shop.

Attack me at will!

I totally agree, but it's hard to part with extra cash when you don't need to. Especially when most riders are students and you can get very good personal service online aswell as in your LBS. If i had a LBS that sold trials bits i'd probably shop there, but all we have is 'cycling' shops.

*Attacks* RAWR, shat yourself didn't you.

Very good point, it's just you can actually get the parts cheaper on the internet, it's so much easier aswell, maybe have your prices as cheap as some internet shops (or as cheap as the shop can go). I know my LBS, not Halfords, but 'Deens Garage' tend to charge quite a bit more for things, this annoys me so i go else where or to t'internet.

What planetxpimp said, most LBS's only sell normal bike parts, downhill parts at best which are a feckin' rip off as they feel it's the downhillers only option, but it's not, most people have the internet these days so it's so much easier cheaper and faster.

Edited by Fat Pants

I don't buy trials stuff from local shops because:

- 9 times out of ten they are not going to beat an online retailer in terms of pricing.

- Online retailler will get the goods to me quicker as the shop generally has to order from importers.

- I can order from online sitting on my arse, and don't have to travel to the bike shop, only to be given the impression that as soon as they have my money, they want me out before I steal something(keep in mind im 19 and have been going to said shop for years, yet im still treated as a first time customer.)

Generally I find obtaining trials parts isn't happening over here in N.Ireland, There is a fella who hopes to have a website up soon, and who I think is dealing with tarty in some way to try and stock things at his shop over here, but wether or not it is sustainable is another matter. I would say that the next time im wanting something of value, like over £20-30 i'll get in touch wth the local guy and see what he can do for me, but unless he matches tarty's price with postage, I doubt i'd take it.....

Of course I see where your coming from, but the way i see it bike shops have enough trade from general biker's, to work on my bike i'd expect them to be paying me!!!

End of the day, LBS's don't stock trials parts becuase it's not profitable.

I could go into it in mroe detail, but if something isn't getting the customers then why should we support them just to keep them open when they're not needed? If they are needed they would have customers and there wouldn't be a problem.

All the shops round here don't stock trials parts, so i have no choice but to shop on't internet.

I'd hate to think of the prices they'd charge if they did stock 'em though.

I'd love to be able to support my LBS but i'm not made of money, and every little helps especially with uni coming up next year.

End of the day, LBS's don't stock trials parts becuase it's not profitable.

I could go into it in mroe detail, but if something isn't getting the customers then why should we support them just to keep them open when they're not needed? If they are needed they would have customers and there wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah... There isn't enough of us trialsters around so they wouldn't even if they wanted to.

i totally agree and i try to buy everything i can from my lbs but some times being a broke student its not always possible and the internet is the only option. plus my nearest shop that stocks trials parts its 50 minutes drive from here.

Edited by Broomer

I'm working for my LBS & even when I need parts there's a ridiculous lead time & more grief than it's worth!

The boss man suggested that I order online & have parts delivered to the shop. That way I can wander in do the work on my bikey & bugger off riding again without annoying his head about parts we just can't readily get.

Are labour prices different around the country?

i charge £14 to bleed a brake (disk/rim) which you can take away with in 30mins

wheel build £20 (free if the parts are puchased from us)

would you say these are fair prices.

we make all our customers feel welcome and the regulars even have coffee mugs, yet i still get the comments, maybe i should stop beating myself up about it. :unsure:

i get nearly every thing from my local bike shop even though i know that the prices on the internet are cheaper, this way i can also get advice if im not sure on how to fit the part for example, rather than getting an advice email from some one and not understanding what they mean. My local isn't to bad at stocking trials parts and overall they dont take to long getting them in, some times the bike shop is the only option beacuse i want to go riding all the time and cant be bothered to wait for delivery off the internet. but its understandable why people shop on the internet especially if there local bike shop doesn't stock trials parts.

None of my LBS's stock any trials parts, the closest shop I could buy from was supercycles. Now their not open as a shop, I've been buying from Tartybikes.

I do think it's important to support small/local companies if possible but I also think it's worth supporting Tartybikes as they seem to offer good service and are trials specific.

Although I have an echo frame, I have a fair few Hope parts and Middleburn cranks and these are made in the UK so I'm glad to be supporting UK manufactoring (sp?) as industry here seems to be dying.

(Y)