Fixed Cog Removal

bikerben

hi all,

im getting a new rear wheel and i need to get my fixed cog off my old wheel i was thinking a chain whip to remove the cog but i dont think it will be strong enough to remove the cog as it has been fixed onto the hub for quite a while any other ideas or tips to get the cog off

help appreciated

thanks

ben

easy to just get a chain whip they only cost about £6-7 from the screw-fix magazine and then you have got it for life or just got to your local bike shop and i there nice they should do it for you for free.

hope i helped

easy to just get a chain whip they only cost about £6-7 from the screw-fix magazine and then you have got it for life or just got to your local bike shop and i there nice they should do it for you for free.

hope i helped

You wont have it for life, you'll have it untill you try and remove the cog, and then you'll realise that they arn't designed for that at all when you brake it. :P

So, yeah, chainwhip's no good.

hope i helped

my mate dame tried to get a fixed cog off his hub with a chain wip and its almost impossible, this is because when your riding around the cog tightens onto the hub emensley, so my advice is to put it in a vice and turn the wheel clockwise or if you dont have access to a vice go to your local bike shop. (Y)

hello people.

The way i got my fixed cog off on my hub was that i i got a empty butter tub and i filled it up with DW40 and put the wheel lying on top of it so the cog to was covered left it for a day to soak. I got a lenght of chain put it on the cog and had a peace of steel tubing with a small bolt thought it i hooked a link in the chain on the bolt to make like a home made chain whip while i was trying to undo it i was taping it with a rubber hammer on the centre of the cog. After a bit of sweat it came off.

but personally i would just buy a new one because u are putting that much strain on it u would have weakened it so much (Y)(Y)