Ashton Et24?

tryin_trials

Hi there fellow trialists,

I am after some advice, I use to be into trials but unfortunatly I stopped after passing my driving test, but I now want to get back into it, and will pretty much be going from scratch as I wasn't that good before!!

I use to ride a DMR Sidekick.

I have been having a look around for something fairly cheap to throw around so it wont matter too much when it gets damaged.

Anyways.....I have found a couple I like the look of which are a DMR Trailstar, and an Ashton ET.

Would anyone recommend which is a better choice or even a differant bike for a beginner. Bearing in mind I don't have to much cash to spend and these two are under £250

Any help will be appreciated!!

Cheers

Si

have a look on ebay before you buy a new bike

if you want something cheap take a look at the new saracen make phase

they have a good range and at good prices

also maybe think about building one from the frame up and buy every component seperate that way you can put the money where its needed like the rear wheel and the cranks

thats how i built my bike

hope i have helped (Y)

Edited by maxxis26

I have been having a look around for something fairly cheap to throw around so it wont matter too much when it gets damaged.

Anyways.....I have found a couple I like the look of which are a DMR Trailstar, and an Ashton ET.

Would anyone recommend which is a better choice or even a differant bike for a beginner. Bearing in mind I don't have to much cash to spend and these two are under £250

Hi Si,

The Ashton ET is a great bike to ride (I have one myself) and I would seriously recommend it, or something similar. The only problem is that a lot of them seemed to have strength issues, and many snapped.

Mine is showing no sins of breaking after a year of riding, but I'm not a great rider so it hasn't been subjected to anything big yet!

By all means look into it, if you can get it for £250, but perhaps you'd be betterr looking in the For Sale/Wanted section of the forum to see if you can pick up something else (maybe o T-Rex or similar, which will stand up to a LOT of abuse!)

The Trailstar would be fine for a mess about bike for street/dirt, but isn't really suited to trials in that the geometry is all out really. You should be looking at something with a little lower top tube (for clearance), a slightly higher bottom bracket (clearance again, but this time from rocks/walls as opposed to yourself) and a few different angles here and there.

You're best off looking at both For Sale/Wanted, and online shops such as Tartybikes (www.tartybikes.co.uk) to get an impression of what's about, and what might be better souted to your needs

have a look on ebay before you buy a new bike

also maybe think about building one from the frame up and buy every component seperate that way you can put the money where its needed like the rear wheel and the cranks

thats how i built my bike

Ebay often has stuff popping up from time to time, so keep an eye out. If you see anything there, stick a post up here, or ask a friend in the know to take a look and see if it's worth going for.

Often though there are bikes advertised to be something they're not, or that are made out to be much better than they are, so be wary!

The new PHASE bikes do look rather handy for someone in your sort of situation, although I can't say I've had a proper look at them myself. If I remember correctly, they start from £300 with a decent spec, and go up from there, price increasing with spec, obviously. They are, however, from MAD, and not Saracen...

Building up a bike from scratch is very satisfying, and will allow you to get the spec you want, and focus on certain areas you want to concentrate on, however it will nearly always be a fair chunk more expensive than buying a fully built, ready-to-ride rig. By all means spend some time looking around, but for £300 it's not really going to work. (Consider Maguras being £100 or so new, most frames being £200+ etc... Obviously second hand would be cheaper, but you're still not going to get a great bike from a very low budget, unless you were to do it over a prolonged period of time)

Anyway, just a quick bit of info for you, but got a little longer than I thought it would!

Hope you manage to get something sorted out, and well done for coming back to trials! ;)

Saracen don't make phase thats team m.a.d's own company now , saracen have just bought out there own range of trials bikes called the flea. (Y)

Edited by jason@mbedge

you sound exactly like me! i used to ride everyday on an old skool merlin then as soon as i passed (nearly 2 years ago) an now im at uni theres nothing to do but trials so i got a new bike an im hopping around like i used2!

ive got a t-rex 2nd hand for £200 an now ive got it top spec with upgrading over time(worth over £1000) an ive only spent abput £500 in total

try and find some good 2nd hand bikes too !!