Itunes

mark145

Hi all

I was just wondering as in my house we have two computers, a laptop and a desktop and my dad is normally on the lappy so im normally pusshed over to the desktop and I like to listen to music while browsing so I was wondering is there a way to see all my music in itunes over the network, without having to import onto this pc aswell and use up lots of space :angry: ?

Edited by mark145

Yes there is, its called steaming. basically you're sharing the files from one computer with the other. You get a little icon in the playlists area with the name of the other computer (my desktop is called desktop and laptop... laptop ^_^ ) on each computer i see the name of the other computer in the playlist and upon clicking on it, it opens up the itunes library of the other computer as if i were physically using the other computer.

To enable it you have to:

1. Open iTunes
  2. Click Edit
  3. Click preferences
  4. click the sharing tab
  5. click share entire library
  6. set the share name
  7. choose if you want a password.... no real need for one so i wouldn't bother.
  8. do up to step 4 on the other computer only make sure "look for shared libraries" is ticked.... either share the laptops files or not, your choice.
  9. Make sure both computers firewalls allow the share, this will be dependant on your firewalls
  10. Enjoy streaming music through the house

The speed of the file sharing will depend on your connection speed and signal strength, it may be completely flawless playback or it may have to buffer the rest of the song half way through due to poor connectivity.

My friend has a load of music I would love to have, if he came over with his laptop would he then be able to send me his collection via my wireless connection and it still be there when his laptop isnt there?

as in, does the music stay there from the other computer, or will it only work when both computers are on in the same household?

Cheers Guys.

Yeah, haz is right. If your looking to do it via itunes then it'll only work so long as both computers are close to each other. To do what you want it'd be easiest to just connect them directly, either via x-over cable or share folder via the router, then by copying the files from one to the other.