Foam Grips

shansen

hi. i am looking to get some foam grips for my bike as i don't ride with gloves.

i am worried about buying a pair and having them rip after a week.... is that going to happen no matter what or are some more reliable then others?

i'm also not too keep on fat grips....

what you guys think?

thanks

Seb B)

Halfords.

DO NOT BUY MONTY OR TRYALL. They just rip you right off for a bit of foam thats worth about 20p (suprise suprise). Its simply not worth spending £7 or however much they are on something that will rip and fall apart in a month.

Halfords do a set of 4 for about £2 that you cut down to size. They feel crap to start with but soon flatten and then they're nice.

Hi alot of people i know that have had foam grips have ripped them really easy and this isnt just one type of grip its both monty and tryall.

hope this helps Jack (Y)

They're not the most durable of things, especially this season in the wet and all that. I think £1 for two grips at halfords is something you can't argue with, certainly less disheartening than destorying your £7 monty's when you drop your bike ;)

Yeah, definitely.

A while ago I just bought a set of really long foam grips for drop handlebars and cut each one in half to get a pair of grips. They were like £3 so, as above each grip was so cheap, didn't really bother you if you ripped them, and they were pretty comfy.

i use the halfords ones. they are £5 but if you cut them in half you get 4 sets of grips, so for £5 you cant really complain. i just change mine after about every 3 weeks, but that doesnt bother me because they are soo cheap and save me from having to wear gloves. (N)(Y)

IMO all foam grips suck wang. They absorb water, rip easily and the desings/logos come off of them as soon as you touch the damn things.

Max...

Edit: Rubber *** :-

Aye, so dont buy one with logos on ;)

Yes, they do absorb water, so not ideal for wet riding...but in the rain trials riders melt, so they don't step foot in the stuff.

I used an innertube once, works really well...although I wouldn't advise it if you have womens hands, may rip them apart.

i use the halfords ones. they are £5 but if you cut them in half you get 4 sets of grips, so for £5 you cant really complain. i just change mine after about every 3 weeks, but that doesnt bother me because they are soo cheap and save me from having to wear gloves. (N)(Y)

what he said is correct but ley last more than 3 week's per set? (Y)

hi,

bad idea if you are going to get either try-all/monty foam grips as my friend bought a pair and they ripped when he was putting them on where as, i went down to the local bike repair shop and i bought a pair twice as thick as the others for £2.50 and they are a lot better

For me, the entire point in buying foam grip's is because they are so much thinner than any rubber cack on the market, so anyone saying that 'x' is 'thicker' than koxx/monty isn't really encouraging.... why do other's use them????

How are these halfords grips compared to koxx or monty? in terms of thickness of both rubber (inside) and the foam itself?

Koxx and monty foams only rip if you rest you bike on the handle bars and stuff, you do need to be very careful to stop them ripping, but they don't tear under normal use which is what alot of people are suggesting

I've also never had problems with grips moving when on the bar's, I generally put that down to poor fitting in the first place.....