My New 24" Wheeled Trial Prototype

Glass

true it is more a design rather than prototype.

My first try was with STASHE (what happened to them? The page is no longer online) and I used the following geometry:

WB:1065mm

HA: 71.5mm

BBD:+20mm

Chainstays: 365mm

I designed the bike to be what Koxx would make if they made a 24" wheeled trials bike.

The bike rode like a dream. Super agile on back wheel, like a mod, but with a long front end which made it super stable. The long wheelbase also made things sweet (my previous bike was a Echo ES3 WB 1009mm).

I noticed I still had a gap between the back tyre and the BB so the chainstays could have been shorten. Then the BT Ninja came out with 365mm with a rear 26x2.5 and I thought damn I'm sure I can squeeze a 24" into 350mm. Then I found some guy who had made 345mm chainstays and run a 24" wheel so I though, defo! Course I dont want to go shorter than 350mm cause mods havent (even though they could go under 300mm) so perhaps there is a limit...

as for the rest well I'm currently riding a 1100mm Koxx Levelboss circa 2003 with 24" wheels so I've gotten used to the even longer effective top tube so I thought I'd incorporate the added length (about 24mm) into my next frame. Also increased the bb drop cause a BBH of 350mm feels better (I ran a 26" front wheel a few times on my Stashe 24).

Problem is iolobikes only deal with steel and I want an alum bike cause of weight issues (the carbon frame was 1800g)

Oh yeah and I also want a bashguard so i dont have to use a bashring.

PS: why am I riding the koxx now cause the carbon frame cracked near the chainstay

post-1103-1166573880_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glass

You seen the banner at the top of the page for Unique bikes? I believe they make aluminium frames.

Looks interesting. How are you running the 24" wheels in the Koxx? I designed an adapter kinda like the monty 25-26 adapter, but have never had a need to make one.

Personally I wouldn't be able to ride a bike with your suggested geometry at all, but meh, that's just me. Your old frame I'd probably get along with very nicely for comp style riding though.

Edit: just noticed you're running dual disc and that to my suprise some levelboss's have disc mounts. haha, how'd I not notice that before!

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

So was STASHE a company who made custom carbon frames? interesting idea. I like the look of your design, if you want custom alloy then i think mielec is the only company who do it (as far as i know).

yep STASHE is the company that made (still makes?) custom carbon frames and not just trial frames. I heard of them through www.vtcz.ch

Thanks for the info I'll look into mielic and Unique bikes (I never look at flashing things on websites by default :P)

Yeah my levelboss frame has a disc mount thats how I'm able to run a rear 24" I've always run 24s with discs cause I started out with 26" wheeled frames. [attachmentid=8845]

My Echo ES3 also had a rear disc mount.[attachmentid=8846]

post-1103-1166611642_thumb.jpg

post-1103-1166612433_thumb.jpg

Your wish is my command :)

IPB Image

^ Jon Fisher's prototype 24UK with longer WB. Still going strong!

This frame will be 1 year old very soon.

Awesome though I'd lose the seat. Whats the rest of the geo like? The BB looks low though! Does Heatsink make custom frames? Cause I don't want the standard 24" heatsink.