Simtra St-1 ?

I-LUV-TRIALS

Hi i am looking at getting a new frame for my birthday (the 27th) and i would like to run a rear disc, I have been looking at the Simtra st-1 and would like some opinions.

Is it a good frame?

Is rear disc a good idea?

Does anyone know what they are like to ride?

Could you recomend some other rear disc frames?

Thanks guys, adam.

i heard today that you need a really good rear wheel build for a rear disc because off all the strain on it....

suli...

I thought of that today aswell when my freind was hoping on his monty 221pr and all you can hear is the spokes twanging, i assume you would have to have your wheel built with the spokes really tight for it to work well because the spokes flex alot if not.

I thought of that today aswell when my freind was hoping on his monty 221pr and all you can hear is the spokes twanging, i assume you would have to have your wheel built with the spokes really tight for it to work well because the spokes flex alot if not.

you have to make sure that the spokes cross 3 times, that shows it is a strong build, and make sure your spokes are tite. tartyadam builds wheel really realli well! if your planning on rebuilding it, get him to do it

suli...

you have to make sure that the spokes cross 3 times, that shows it is a strong build, and make sure your spokes are tite. tartyadam builds wheel really realli well! if your planning on rebuilding it, get him to do it

suli...

Im ok with building wheels thats no problem, but i was thinking it may be worth me looking at getting an eyeleted rim that way i could have even more tension on the spokes :-

Getting an eyeletted rim will not make "that" much difference, i was am running a koxx rim on the back and was when i had my rear disc and that gave me no trouble, If you do decide to go rear disc it would be adviseable to get a 36hole rear wheel as it would be much better suited to the stresses put on it through the disc, Also if you can get it built in 4 cross it would be more of an advantage (my rear wheel is 4cross)

suli...

Just because the wheel is built 3 cross it doesn't mean it is a strong build! i have seen 3cross wheels die very quickly it depends on how it is built and tensioned etc.

Back on the topic of the Simtra, i have one and REALY like it, you saw me in plymouth on it Adam. They are not too long mine measures in at around 1085 which is a nice length in my oppinion and the 20mm BB rise makes it nice on the backwheel, I would say that they are fairly strong, i have not heard of any breaking, i have given mine some abuse and if you see what James Barton puts his through (more than i put through mine). also having a +40mm disc moutn is awsome as it means it is possible to run a 200mm rear rotor without the need for any adapters :)

Rear disc is realy nice, mine was awsome but it take abit of time to get used to the spoke flex, but if the wheel is built well and the spokes kept tight this will not be so much of a problem, my wheel didn't realy flex that much. They provide very good lock but unlike a mag they provide a nice amount of modulation! and also they are silent! The only real reason i changed back to a rim brake was that being the size that i am i prefer the more positive lock/feel of a rim brake, and now i have my rear vee which is silent i am happy :P

I am sure you had a bounce on mine in plymouth didn't you?

There are a few more frames with rear disc mounts but the only one to have a disc mount that will "realy" be strong enough for trials use is the MBK T-1000 it has a fairly beefy rear mount but the geometry is fairly different to that of the simtra, the Kot MS2 has a good discmount, also a +20mm like the MBK. There is also the BT raven7 but that has a standard ISO disc mount so ti run anything over 160mm you will need an adapter (unless it is a BB7 you are running)

Hope that helps

Adam

Your 15.....

You've got a brand new 07 Pitbull............

And now you want a Simtra and a rear disc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does money just appear out of thin air in the world that you live in?

How about learning to ride it, dent it a bit, and get better before upgrading to something different.

Does any of you little boys actually pay for your own bikes out of a job or is everything always gonna be handed to you on a plate!

F**king waste of money.............

Your 15.....

You've got a brand new 07 Pitbull............

And now you want a Simtra and a rear disc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does money just appear out of thin air in the world that you live in?

How about learning to ride it, dent it a bit, and get better before upgrading to something different.

Does any of you little boys actually pay for your own bikes out of a job or is everything always gonna be handed to you on a plate!

F**king waste of money.............

I brought my zoo pitbull with my own money but it is 26"mod and it sucks, since i have had it i have snaped two of the axles in the rear hub. I am also running mod cranks with an eno that skips every two minutes, this has really bugged me so i have decided rather than spend more fixing the broken bits why not buy a proper stock frame and a hope pro2 hub, i already have a rear disc and a fried of mine has offered me 60 pounds for my hs33. i am selling my frame, cranks and eno to get money to pay for my new frame also my birthday is in a few weeks and i am getting some money towards the new frame.

Adam.