Few Questions

lawrence osborn

Hey people,

I havn't posted a topic in this area for a while as ive had no problems, but got a few now. Well the first one is the headset it s the £45 echo one if that helps, i can't run it fully tight because it makes it hard to turn the front end so i have to run it around 70-80% tight which is annoying as it loosens off easier, so has anyone had this problem and if so how did you/they sort it so they can run it fully tight with the front end turning loosley ?

Also ive got a front try-all rim and i use a front maggie and sick off putting tar on the rim as it makes so much sound and doesn't preform to the max, do you think it is worth grinding the rim to make it preform well or will it just make the rim super week as it is only single walled?

cheers lawrence (Y)

Edited by lawrence osborn

With the headset, when you have it as tight as you can before it gets stiff, is there any play in it?

If there is then I'd suggest the either the bearings are haggard, (apparently echo stuff has quite cheep bearings in it, but they can be replaced with higher quality Japanese bearings) or something within the headset is contacting, take it apart and check it out.

If there isn't then, that's just how headsets are meant to be, the Idea is to find the right amount of tightness that there is no play, and the bars aren't stiff. With this system, as long as the stem is done up enough, it shouldn't come loose often. If it does come loose lots, then maybe check your star fangle isn't slipping.

If the problem is the bearings, then to get a little more life out of them try lifting the seals off them (hook the rubber seal out with a sharp knife), and packing them with grease, then putting the seal back in. You could also check the condition of the bearings like this.

It could be that the headset cups are not in the frame 100% straight.

If they were put in without using a press (or extreme care) or if the headtube isn't faced and level then instead of your cups looking like this | | eg staight and parrallel they may be in the frame like this / \ .

When you loosen the headset off it reduces the effect of wonky cups, so maybe that is the problem.

Edited by huge

the rim will be fine,as someone else said,just put a light grind on it,it'll be fine.as for the headset,change the bearings,re-grease it all,and maybe fit a star-fangled nut,also,check the headset is fully pressed into the frame maybe?it could be at a slight angle? as for re-placement bearings,im not sure whats best,but i know Marin bearings are strong,as when i used to race the bymx motocross series,we all used the marin mtb bearings in the headset of the kx 60's,as they were stronger than the original bearings.im sure if they can handle moto-x abuse,they'll be fine in mtb headsets?

Carl

If the suggestions above dont help with the headset you may wanna check your forks and the steerer tube for damage, this may be caused a tight spot when steering depending on the damage if there is any. Doubtful its this but you can never be oversafe

Hope you get it sorted

Frooty