Air Tap/ Drifting

rocktrials

Got my Grade 7 rockschool in a few weeks, can read drum music as i play with nedmc's swing band yet hardly over follow/read the music cause i don't like to, usually end up knowing the peice off by heart after a couple of tries. Only read when it needs timing to match the band, like accents etc, but still you feel all that. 1 good reason to follow the music though is to know when it finishes :P

I played keyboards since i was 8 till then end of school and i still cant read a note of music to this day...

When i really got into music in yr 8 through to yr 9 i got to a point where i could listen to something twice and i could play it, I just got so good at playing from ear that reading music seemed to take forever.

But yeah if you played in an orchestra then you would have to play to the music.. and not from your "sole"... I was just refering to the acoustic vids.. :turned:

At first i thought "Andy Mckee" would be like ye, amazing song, then all the rest crappy, but just check his other songs!!!

This one is so nice:

and....

So perfect playing and precise, great feel to it.

Edit:

Live version of Rylynn with 2 other guys

Edited by rocktrials

• 3 months later...

just thought i'd bump this as i have his album and even though i've know about him for ages, i'm still dumbfounded by the skills of mongrain!!!

There are gonna be loads of people who never saw this thread, so it's for them i'm bumping :P

Plus no doubt there will be others who forgot about it but remember how unbelievable the airtap video is!!!

His album is constantly playing in my car!

• 5 months later...

I've listened to Andy Mckee for a couple of years now, he's absolutely incredible. My idol. Tommy Emmanuel and Michael Hedges too. I saw Andy and Tommy in Liverpool last week, got talking to Andy (after I'd stoped shaking like a shitting dog) and he asked me to come to the gig in Bolton on Friday night and get some shots. I f**king wept all the way through Rylynn, both nights, and I'm not ashamed one bloody bit!

small1.jpg

small2.jpg

And this isn't a jab at anyone, but to whoever said that stuffs hard to play - have a go. It might not be as hard as it looks (its still f**king difficult, above grade 8 for any theory nuts) but composing that? Not a chance!