Bent/buckled/generally F'd Cones...

The Duck

Pretty simple really, wheel was making a stupid clunky noise with my cheep-arse hub, took it apart to find...

Can i streighten it with pliers or something? I feel like crying with the bristol ride just round the corner... >_<

Any help very appreciated :(

post-10393-1169754807_thumb.jpg

post-10393-1169754846_thumb.jpg

Edited by Quackers

right, the 'bent' bit is just a bearing cover, and pushes onto the cone. can easily be straightened. support the washer either side, and tap the cone lightly with a hammer to straighten.

The cone looks in OK condition, but with some bad pits. make sure you use plenty of grease when you reassemble, and dont overtighten the axle. lock the cones off well too.

Or upgrade to a Hope/Better hub, I have one for sale, if you pay the extra postage costs, you can send me your old wheel and I can build the rim and spokes into the new hub and post back off the same day.. I'd also sort your existing hub out incase you should ever need to swap back...

Pm me if your interested

yea max just bend them back it will be fine just make sure you grease that baby up nice and it will be fine also if you need a hand ask me mate i have rebuilt so many hubs, wheel's, freewheel's, etc and i can fix anything really mate also i can usualy think of a decent bodge if not :lol:

right, the 'bent' bit is just a bearing cover, and pushes onto the cone. can easily be straightened. support the washer either side, and tap the cone lightly with a hammer to straighten.

The cone looks in OK condition, but with some bad pits. make sure you use plenty of grease when you reassemble, and dont overtighten the axle. lock the cones off well too.

+1