Rear 180mm Disc On Mod

UrbanLegend

This is unchartered territory for me, so advice greatly appreciated...

Looking at going dual disc on my new Monty 221. Currently the choice is between a 180mm Avid BB7, or 180mm Hope Mono Trial. I already have a front Avid, but the rear is what I need advice on.

I know both have their fans, but my main concern was the cable on the Avid... I mean it would have to be run with a full outer, which concerns me. I was wondering if anyone ran the Avid, and could describe the lever feel? I don't want a ridiculously spongey brake!

If the Avid feels good, then that's a bonus, as I already have the front from my stock. Saves me uber amounts of money (as I'm gay and would want a pair of Hopes if I got a rear!).

So basically, rear Avid with full outer cable housing, yay or nay?

Cheers!

If you're worried about that it would be good to think about what rear cable to use more than what different disc.

Everyone will recommend you a linear slick cable, for lack of sponge, but I seriously doubt they would be long enough to do a rear disc, as there only meant for rear caliper breaks on BMXs. Best way around this really, would be to go around local bike shops and find one that has a real of 5mm gear casing. This has the internal wires aligned in the same way as the linear slick, and is basically the same thing, also is probably only about £1 a foot at the most. Should feel really solid and not flex much at all.

what about the solid bars instead of cable>? (i beleive i saw em on wiggle, they go where the cable wouldn't be flexxed, ie anywhere from the bars to start of the frame onwards (Y) )

That's a possibility... I have seen them, will look into it!

Just need to find somewhere with rear 180/185mm in stock!

Had a 180 Hope Trials on my 221Ti and it was incredibly powerful, slipped only twice. I know this is not what you're asking about but you may need some feedback on the other option as well.

Go for the Hope, cable brakes are good, but hydros just have a much nicer feel in my opinion.

Had a 180 Hope Trials on my 221Ti and it was incredibly powerful, slipped only twice. I know this is not what you're asking about but you may need some feedback on the other option as well.

Go for the Hope, cable brakes are good, but hydros just have a much nicer feel in my opinion.

I appreciate your comment :)

I actually really like the feel of the front avid, so if the rear was a similar thang, I'd be more than happy with it.

My avid worked well, it just felt dead. You had next to no feedback at the lever. That was with a linear slic cable, which incidentally, managed to reach to the back of a long 26" frame so you should have no problems there.

My avid worked well, it just felt dead. You had next to no feedback at the lever. That was with a linear slic cable, which incidentally, managed to reach to the back of a long 26" frame so you should have no problems there.

Hmmm doesn't sound ideal...

I've been working it out price wise, and the Hope isn't realllllly uber amounts more once I've taken into account a decent lever and cables... I'm leaning towards a Hope now, might just bite the bullet and go for a pair.