Hub Convertion

newb

Hi

my freewheel keeps brakeing and i have a cassete hub on my bmx and i want it on my trials bike .

BUT! it is 14 mm and i need it to be 10mm

Can you convert it and how and has anyone got the things so i can that i could buy

thanks adam

Its a proper cassete hub with 13 tooth freewheel (proper is the make by the way sorry if you already no)

well, its gotta be either a cassette hub or a fixed hub to take a freewheel....so by 13t freewheel do you mean sprocket?

the only way i can think of is by grinding the axle flat on both sides, so thats its 10mm thick, this means you can still use the bolts

look at an old sturmey archer hub to get what i mean! i shall try and find my camera so i can get a pic for you of one, cos i got an old dyno sitting in my room :)

Im likely to get corrected by some gay BMX nberd but the main reasons BMX's have 14mm dropouts is for pegs. I think if you carefully and slowy (so not a great deal of heat is put upon the axle) grinded the axle flat then ran a tapping Die down the axle you would be fine, BUT make sure you get the flat bits on each side in EXACTLY the same rotation on the axle or else your well screwed..

Can you not get 'female' axels on the Proper hubs? - Like on Profiles?

Basically, it's a hollow, threaded axle, which is still 14mm thick, but with a M10 thread, for 10mm bolts.

If you can fine one of them, i'd advise you get that, and simply convert the axle, instead of having to grind away at anything.

before you do this i'd make sure the hub you use isn't gunna skip like a bitch (little kicks compared to a more fluid pedaling action in bmx) if that makes sense? (remember some guy who rides bmx trying pedal hops+his hub skipped like a schoolgirl) would be mega shit if you did all of that + then found yourself flying over the bars all the time :P

or strip the axle out of the hub and get an engineering firm to make an exact replica, but with necessary adjustments to each end of the axle. then you can use the original bearings and such (making spares readily available). i'd strongly advise against bodging each end with a grinder! if the flats aren't added accurately, then you will most likely end up putting uneven stresses through your frame and hub, leading to premature deterioration! also, the female axle jobby sounds good. i'd get a quote on having an axle made, and see how that compares to converting to the female axle cost wise.

smithy