.nef Format

on that? u must be joking

Right folks, this is a bit of a long shot but i've got the use of a Nikon D50 camera at uni and it can take photos in .nef format. I've found out as much as that it's a raw format which records the data from each pixel in the ccd without losing any of the data, but i want a way to view the individual values of brightness for each pixel. I've tried opening a file in notepad but there's not a whole lot of help there.

Can anyone suggest a program that will allow me to read the .nef into some sort of array with a single cell for each pixel? or failing that any other way to interrogate the file.

Cheers,

Andy

[long boring explanation] I've started a PhD on micro holographic Particle Image Velocimetry (uPIV) which is pretty much photographing fluid flows which have tracer particles in which are illuminated by a laser (the object beam). In order to get a hologram you shine a second laser beam called a reference beam onto the ccd. The two beams interfere with each other and from the way the interference pattern looks you can work out where the particles are in 3d space with one photograph. You do the same again and you can get 3 component 3 dimensional data for fluid flow characteristics within the measurement volume. The more accurate the data I get out the better the results will be.[/long boring explanation]

And I want to know how they work

You need any RAW processing program, such as Rawshooter, Capture One or Photoshop (needs Adobe Camera Raw update if it's a relatively new camera). I think Nikon make their own version but the name escapes me. From there, there ought to be a way of working out these things. If not, you can convert straight away to TIF (a lossless format) and go from there.

I'm guessing the normal photoshop levels panel isn't detailed enough for you?

NEF is a horrible format for interrogating, as it encrypts some meta data such as white balance. There is some info here

I'd suggest converting them in Nikon Capture to TIFF (which I belive is truely lossless) or even a bitmap and then interrogating. NEF and RAW files are lossless but the files are compressed so unless you know how to decompress them, you won't get a bitmap image out of them.

Bibble is another converter, as is Adobe Camera Raw for Photoshop.