Bunnyhop Spin Technique Tips?

arw_86

HI

i just went and had a quick search (10 seconds- im on my break) but couldnt find anything on how to do spins, im talking about the kind of bunnyhop spins as done amazingly well by phil feeney and bmx'ers etc (spins that involve both wheels off the floor basically).

ive been told by some people that turning your head helps as your body will follow but it dont seem to help me too much.

just any little tips that may help? and i know that practice helps so thats a tip i dont need telling lol

cheers ARW

Edited by arw_86

ERm.. I'll try my best to explain it...

Turn your shoulders in the opposite direction to the way you want to spin and maybe turn the bars a little too, also lean the bike over that direction slightly. Then suddenly jerk in the direction you want to spin with your upper body and look right over your shoulder at where you want to be facing, and steer sharply in that direction. In the middle of this jerk, just as the bike starts to turn (you should be able to feel when to anyway) just bunny hop, I find it easiest to oldschool bunny hop nice and low (both wheels take off at the same time) but some other people find it easier to lift the front wheel off the ground first as you steer into it and start spinning like that, then lift the rear wheel off to move it around. As you spin around in the air just stay looking and steering towards the direction you want to be facing, so that as you achieve the spin you land with everything nice and in line.

I'm really bad at explaining moves though. So basically, lean and steer away from it, then suddenly jerk into it and steer that way and look over your shoulder at the direction you want to end up.

As with everything, you'll get it with practice, so get out there and keep trying, its something that normally takes some time to learn.

ERm.. I'll try my best to explain it...

Turn your shoulders in the opposite direction to the way you want to spin and maybe turn the bars a little too, also lean the bike over that direction slightly. Then suddenly jerk in the direction you want to spin with your upper body and look right over your shoulder at where you want to be facing, and steer sharply in that direction. In the middle of this jerk, just as the bike starts to turn (you should be able to feel when to anyway) just bunny hop, I find it easiest to oldschool bunny hop nice and low (both wheels take off at the same time) but some other people find it easier to lift the front wheel off the ground first as you steer into it and start spinning like that, then lift the rear wheel off to move it around. As you spin around in the air just stay looking and steering towards the direction you want to be facing, so that as you achieve the spin you land with everything nice and in line.

I'm really bad at explaining moves though. So basically, lean and steer away from it, then suddenly jerk into it and steer that way and look over your shoulder at the direction you want to end up.

As with everything, you'll get it with practice, so get out there and keep trying, its something that normally takes some time to learn.

Thats it in a nutshell i think. To be honest mate, i thought that you explained it pretty damned well.

Thats it in a nutshell i think. To be honest mate, i thought that you explained it pretty damned well.

B)

Hopefully explained it better than I can do it. haha. Yet to master 360s. Can get 270 every time now and rolling 180s to fakie fine. Just need to get out there and practice.

cheers boys

ill keep up practicing and use the tips you have given me

you see a while ago i commented that i wanted to bunny hop to manual onto a wall and at the end (still in a manual) 360 with a crankflip off.....well i can manual well and crank flip half the time its just the spin that i cant do.

so ye ill practice that bit and hopefully ill have a video one day of that trick

thanks again ARW

If you want to have any use to it and want to spin more than a 180, I'd suggest the front wheel first technique. I'll make it step by step to try to make it clear, but this isn't the kind of move you can just look at or read about and have it first time, especially since it's so basic.

-Learn how-to make a real bunnyhop or j-hop, raise front wheel, once you get past your rear wheel blance point [where you'd do a manual], start pushing the bars forward and raising the rear end. Watch Ryan Leech for this, you'll need to master it to spin.

For the actual spin :

-Pedal to a nice slow streety speed

- Start turning the bike with both wheel on the ground in the direction your'e going to spin, generally NOT your chocolate foot, but it might be different for you...

-Once you turned like 5 degrees and you have some impulse, start pulling up the front end by bending your knees and pulling with your arms, while continuing the spinning motion : turn your head and elbows and really commit to it.

-When you'll be at about 45 degrees from where you started, lift you rear end, extend your arms and put your ass behind your rear wheel.

-Land it 8-)

That's about it, you'll first have to learn the 180, so don't be a pussy and learn how to do an appropirate roll-back. Then once you master the 180, move on the 360, or maybe by then you will find that you can mix spins with trials and moved on to the 270, wich is quite usefull, well not really usefull, but looks dope compared to a 90...