Pics Of These Dodgy Home Made Disc Adapters?

Davetrials

post-7934-1171549573_thumb.png

If you do this on a 26 you should probably still use a booster on the magura mounts - keep everything as stiff as possible - as you are basically doing all your braking on one set of magura mounts rather than the normal 2.

but a booster is designed to stop flex in a totally differant direction. As inur said the disc mount would only be resting on the magura mounts. Putting a booster, on top of the disc mount, would be useless because the forces from the disc would go up the mount arm, and directly into the 4-bolt mounts anyway, unless you actually had the disc adapter resting on the booster.....

Edited by jake1516

If you do this on a 26 you should probably still use integrate a booster on the magura mounts into the design - keep everything as stiff as possible - as you are basically doing all your braking on one set of magura mounts rather than the normal 2.

:turned:

But i think the bikes are made without disk mounts for a reason.

Yeah, supply and demand...

I think the rear disc mount system in the KOT is very good. However, my frame just cracked at the top and bottom of both the drive side and non-drive side braces. So I think you're right, the frame is a bit too lightweight and designed more for competition use.

Most of the KOT's I've seen built up haven't had a rear disc - so I'm expecting Kotovs hasn't had a huge amount of feedback on how to improve them for disc usage.

I think a light KOT for comp use, and a beefier street version would be nice. We'll have to see how the 2007 design looks.

Really nice bike and a neat looking adaptor.

Just a personal feeling about this. I would NEVER do something like that, it's certain death for the frame.

Red fields are where your frame will crack if you ride your bike regularly and properly. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole dropout just tore off.

edit:

Not to make another post, I'll put it in here. This would solve the problem and still look as neat as your current design:

You'd have to drill the frame through though, I'm doubt it would make it much weaker but that's just a guess.

Edited by Inur

Just a personal feeling about this. I would NEVER do something like that, it's certain death for the frame.

Red fields are where your frame will crack if you ride your bike regularly and properly. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole dropout just tore off.

Oh, I forgot. People who run Maguras don't crack frames....

Well if it cracks its a learning curve, also the stress of the brake is on the hub not the frame.

Well hopefully in the next few weeks I will be going the dual disc way. However I'm laughing compared to all you guys. Good old steel frames. :rolleyes:

Realy nice adapters, and definatly what I'd do if my frame was alloy, but, its T45 ^_^ . So I'm just posting it off to Iolo, whos going to brace the rear triangle and braze on a disc mount. And I should be getting pearsons old Mono Trials to match my front break.

Dodgy photoshop of what I asked for him to do:

DiscMount.jpg

Its attached using a bolt through the adapter and through the dropout and using the axle bolt. It work really well just got back from ilkley and it is working and holding really well.

We will have to meet up at shipley glen some time as i am in keighley.

ye sure, I might make myself a better adaptor in the meen time. i wrecked that one a bit with my heavy handed grinder, and drimmel. :P.need to have one specific hole each bolt as the groove type thing i have now allows the caliper to creep under heavy breaking. so mine is still very much a project. will deffiantley get up shipley some time, pm if you have a specific date.

If you put the adapter running onto the maggie mounts it will put all the stress of the brake on your frame.

No, it will put some of the force through the frame, and some through the hub.

In the same way, while your's puts most into the hub, because it is bolted into the frame, some of the turning forces from the disc go through the bolt into the frame, otherwise the disc caliper/adaptor would just spin around.

The positioning of your bolt is paramount really I think. I don't think it would crack as inur has shown because you have it bolted directly into the dropout, which is a nice billet of metal.

When you brake, that wee bolt you have drilled wants to turn in the same direction as your rear wheel, it's path doesn't extend out as far as the cracks, so if anything, the very bottom would probobly crack first where the bottom of the chainstay's meet's the bottom of the dropout because the dropout would be pulling away?

But still, the turning forces from the disc are being put into your frame, not your hub.