Death And Mourning.

1a2bcio8

I've got a hypothetical question which I'm very curious as to how you might answer.

Basically the idea regards a device of the future which which is able to alter your nervous sytem or mind so that you may experience whatever feelings you wish to. You can use it to feel as amazing as you want to. The question is, if somebody very close to you were to die, would you be happy to use the device to make yourself feel completely alright with their death, so that you didn't have to deal with the process of mourning or sorrow?

In other words, do you think you would prefer to not feel any pain about the death of someone you love? or do you think that you should go through a process of mourning, as though you owe it to the loved one to feel bad about their death?

Cheers if you answer.

Ben.

The process of mourning is a must IMO. The humand body/mind can only take so much and not mourning is not allowing yourself to admit that they are gone, in time it will catch up with you

I lost my nan recently and don't think i have fully mourned yet, didn't cry a huge amount at the funeral and it doesn't feel like she has gone, but saying that i did live with her for 7 years so she was always around, but in time it will catch up with me im sure!

I personally wouldn't change the way i am with feelings cos they are what make me.

Frooty

Edited by fruitbat

What I mean then, is that you don't have to go through a process of mourning. It won't effect you 'negatively' to not go thtough that process because of this machine; this machine will change you so that you don't feel about about the death at all. It's simply a choice of feeling bad about death or not. Should you feel bad about death for the sake of what that lost person meant to you? Does it devalue them to not feel high levels of sorrow and hurt?

Edited by rowly

I'd absoultley shit myself if something like that was available, in the immediate sense of just 'mourn or not mourn' of course i'd rather not mourn but if we don't feel the loss of a loved one then eventually we won't know what it feels like to love.

Im not going to start writing a tonne of shit, rather go and smoke a spliff and read your post again, and then probobly end up sitting on the toilet....

Why does mourning give meaning to love though? I can understand how "absence makes the heart fond"; that's something I've experienced myself; but for me there's only point to that when absence leads back to presence.

Regarding death though, it means the end; the absence probably doesn't move back to the dead persons presence. Is it, at that point, somewhat pointless to feel bad about something that you can do nothing about? Why not just choose to feel completely okay about it and get on with the rest of your life? Remember I mean this in the sense that by not feeling bad about a death it causes no long term 'harm' to you. You completely escape the process of mourning; of dealing with the loss of life.

Edited by rowly

Why does mourning give meaning to love though? I can understand how "absence makes the heart fond"; that's something I've experienced myself; but for me there's only point to that when absence leads back to presence.

Regarding death though, it means the end; the absence probably doesn't move back to the dead persons presence. Is it, at that point,somewhat pointless to feel bad about something that you can do nothing about? Why not just choose to feel completely okay about it and get on with the rest of your life? Remember I mean this in the sense that by not feeling bad about a death it causes no long term 'harm' to you. You completely escape the process of mourning; of dealing with the loss of life.

I find it hard to get my head around the no long term harm bit. I know you said hypothetically, but still, death and how we deal with it is a part of life. As much as it's not a nice thing to have to do I do think it's like a stepping stone in life, understanding our end and such.

I don't think i'd want to take that, I wouldn't want to feel numb, which is what I would be if I didn't mourn someones death, we'd all turn into robot's or something.

Edited by jake1516

No matter how much you put it off it will catch up with you, didnt mourn for 10 months(lost my dad bout that time) but it does catch up with you, no matter how much you think to carry on and just get on with life, it will catch up with you. Not the best feeling in the world. So in answer to your question i think feeling the pain would be better, because life is full of experiences so its just one experience you have to go through. If you understand what I mean.

The whole thign about mourning someones death is more an apreciation of them, and leading to remembering them. I for one would definately want to mourn, yes it may hurt, but you need it. Its not about oweing anything to anyone its abotu you comign to terms with the situation. It is a tough one i suppose, i do defineatly agree with the "if we don't feel the loss of a loved one then eventually we won't know what it feels like to love." statement, i think that sums it up.

I think some of you chaps are missing my point slightly. The hypothetical part of this question is if you could choose to avoid mourning and have it not catch up with you; no ill effects what so ever. What then would you choose? I'm interested in seeing if you think mourning is something you should do as a choice, rather than a neccesity. Does a person you love deserve to be mourned?

In becoming hypothetical, we are moving out of the reality of what is 'best' for you right now and considering what might be 'preferable' for you regarding an imaginary choice containg different 'rules'.

I think some of you chaps are missing my point slightly. The hypothetical part of this question is if you could choose to avoid mourning and have it not catch up with you; no ill effects what so ever. What then would you choose? I'm interested in seeing if you think mourning is something you should do as a choice, rather than a neccesity. Does a person you love deserve to be mourned?

In becoming hypothetical, we are moving out of the reality of what is 'best' for you right now and considering what might be 'preferable' for you regarding an imaginary choice containg different 'rules'.

Yeh, I have problems dealing with the concept of things being hyopthetical :lol:

I'm not sure how or why but i just think it would feel incredibly out of order an the guilt you would feel would be even worse than the mourning if you get me. I'm sure put under the situation in reality however almost all of us would be at least tempted.

To sidetrack a bit imagine if a machine like that was invented, how scary it would be. People killing withought any guilt etc.

are you black ?

Nope, far from it.

If i was black, id be f**ked cause i dont like blacks

ok i was just wondering

::cut image::

!!!

1. What the f**k does the colour of someone's skin have to do with their ability to mourn or feel guilt?
  2. What the f**k does the colour of someone's skin have to do with whether or not you like them or not?
  3. f**k off.
Seriously, what on earth made you think comments like that are even vaguely acceptable? There's one emotion that any Penfield machine should never be able to remove and that's the shame that you should be feeling right now.

!!!
  1. What the f**k does the colour of someone's skin have to do with their ability to mourn or feel guilt?
  2. What the f**k does the colour of someone's skin have to do with whether or not you like them or not?
  3. f**k off.
Seriously, what on earth made you think comments like that are even vaguely acceptable? There's one emotion that any Penfield machine should never be able to remove and that's the shame that you should be feeling right now.

I see irony in your username.

you'd need to be deluded to think that people DON't think like that.

I see irony in your username.

you'd need to be deluded to think that people DON't think like that.

Just because people hold an opinion doesn't make it correct. I'm well aware that people hold these opinions, yet it continues to shock me that they consider it appropriate to voice them so casually.

That I accept they exist doesn't mean I have to accept that they shall always exist and let them pass without comment.