Try-all 108.9s

20inchsuperstar

I would like to mention at this point that I trusted the 108.9 to win the British and World Championship and it comes fitted as standard to the best bike made in France.

So far I, Tarty and other dealers have sold many hundreds of 108.9's - 3 have been sent back - nuf said.

Ben.

To be fair, I'm never really one for "We've sold X and had Y returned." Every manufacturer from Onza to Monty seem to use it as a "Our stuff doesn't break" thing, but we all know it's not really the case. If I broke a freewheel, I may say something on here (like the threadstarter did), but I wouldn't really say anything to the distributor about it if it was used for anything more than a few rides simply because I'd put it down to a fault with either me or the product, and I wouldn't expect a distro to have to rectify that sort of mistake. Some people are going to be different obviously, but either way, I know that there's more than just 3 freewheels that have broken.

Out of curiosity, not trying to slate this freewheel, how often do you change your freewheel? I know Ben Slinger said he used to carry a spare crankarm at comps with a freewheel on because it was easier to sort out than a broken cassette hub, but how do you play it?

To be fair, I'm never really one for "We've sold X and had Y returned." Every manufacturer from Onza to Monty seem to use it as a "Our stuff doesn't break" thing, but we all know it's not really the case. If I broke a freewheel, I may say something on here (like the threadstarter did), but I wouldn't really say anything to the distributor about it if it was used for anything more than a few rides simply because I'd put it down to a fault with either me or the product, and I wouldn't expect a distro to have to rectify that sort of mistake. Some people are going to be different obviously, but either way, I know that there's more than just 3 freewheels that have broken.

Out of curiosity, not trying to slate this freewheel, how often do you change your freewheel? I know Ben Slinger said he used to carry a spare crankarm at comps with a freewheel on because it was easier to sort out than a broken cassette hub, but how do you play it?

Mark, I think you will find I have made the point about carrying a spare as well, usually linked to discussions about profiles/kings and ease of repair at a comp. Its easy to carry a spare crank and free wheel - so carry it, along with all other things its possible to carry and change in a comp.

I first fitted a 108.9 in june last year. Since then I have had two new complete Bikes and switched parts onto frame I'm riding at the mo'. After the two euro WBC comps I put on a new 108.9 as a precaution, that makes it 3 108.9's since june. I think I spend more time riding than most, I ride when ever and where ever I want on any day I choose and I take full advantage of it, so my drive train gets trashed through use. I can spec White industry on my bikes and get them for free if I want, but I prefer the 108.9. I find the quick pick up an advantage. When I ride comps my goal is to win and I use the parts that suit me best to help me do that.

Ben.

I run a tensile freewheel but my mate uses a try-all one and straight of the bat it skipped like hell, he thought maybe it just needs bedding in ect but 4 months on and it still skips like mad. When ever he pedal hops or puts some power into the drivetrain it skips and makes a loud noise.

Hasn't anyone phoned the company they got it off, and said look mines obviously fuked so send me a new one ?????? i mean if its mechanical then u should easily get a refund, if u phoned em anyway. there is no harm in asking.

All this bitching about them but no one is trying to do anything about it. <_<

after speaking to tarty, the conclusion is.... they all dont engage properly at speed, due to them having soooooo many eps, that there isnt really that hard whack on it, it cant grab an ep quick enough. Because it is whizzing round so fast with its bazillion eps, it does not have enough force to catch that ep. And when your doing a sizeable speed, it will chase that ep but, by the time it gets it, the cranks have already done a few rotations, leaving you upside down in a bush.

or something along the lines of that....

ben, i use mine every day too, and it sure goes through hell with a fairly new rider giving it some serious beans for a few yours a day, every day.

it works at low speeds very well though, apart from the odd skip, so its fine for trials.

mark, i couldnt agree more, if i break any component on my bike, on all but a few parts, i wont send them back, ill just buy a new one, end of, no moaning or owt.

cheers guys ,

matt

Hasn't anyone phoned the company they got it off, and said look mines obviously fuked so send me a new one ?????? i mean if its mechanical then u should easily get a refund, if u phoned em anyway. there is no harm in asking.

All this bitching about them but no one is trying to do anything about it. <_<

You cant rely on the company that SOLD you it, to give youa replacement... after all, they only selling the product, they didnt know it would fook 3 months after you buying it... did they?

Thats kinda like my mate actually... he bought some GU forks from TB, and used them for like 3 months, they started to creak, and then he said, "im gonna ring tartybike and tell them to give me a new pair" i was like, "whatttt? you've used them for like 3 months, they aint gonna do shit!" after all, he bought them brand new, never used... hes the only person to have used them, so he has obviously made them start to creak.. it isnt TB's fault...

If i brake somthing on my bike, its my fault, i dont put it down to the company i bought it off like 7 months ago...

I do complain, il admit that, but then il just got on with it, and buy a new part...

Oh yeah, get a tensile... mines been awesome! never skipped, feels nice! perfect number of EP's...

Saying that, i have just went and got a echo cassette hub :S lets see if i have a face left soon then!

Edited by terror-error

after speaking to tarty, the conclusion is.... they all dont engage properly at speed, due to them having soooooo many eps, that there isnt really that hard whack on it, it cant grab an ep quick enough. Because it is whizzing round so fast with its bazillion eps, it does not have enough force to catch that ep. And when your doing a sizeable speed, it will chase that ep but, by the time it gets it, the cranks have already done a few rotations, leaving you upside down in a bush.

or something along the lines of that....

It sounds like you were just going so far you couldn't catch up with the freewheel? (Your dad explained you thought the freewheel stopped working when going down hills.)

If it works spot on at low speeds then there's nothing to worry about!

It sounds like you were just going so far you couldn't catch up with the freewheel? (Your dad explained you thought the freewheel stopped working when going down hills.)

If it works spot on at low speeds then there's nothing to worry about!

thats the one!

itll skip very rarely at low speeds so im fine with it all, cheers though adam, wont disembowel it just yet :P

matt

I also am kinda skeptical of mines as it moves from side to side more than any other freewheel (tryall or otherwise) ive ever seen. Maybe its fine but im geting skared that it does something silly when im up high. Anyone know how to stop the sideways movement if it can e stoped. I have a A3 and monty cranks if that helps any (Y)