Windows Xp Help

DrEvil270183

my computer wont boot up because "the following file is corrupt or missing : system32/fastfat....."

ive put in the window cd, upon set up press R to repair and i get questions about which window i want to repair, and admin passwords. tried my own comp password but no luck. will it be a case of ringing the placei bought it to find out the pasword??

cheers, Tim,

why don't u know the admin password?

anyway i googled and learnt this about fastfat.sys blah

you could try that - or you could do the windows repair (first thing to try).

you'll be able to reinstall windows completely if all else fails whether you know the admin password or not but thats a last resort

why don't u know the admin password?

anyway i googled and learnt this about fastfat.sys blah

you could try that - or you could do the windows repair (first thing to try).

you'll be able to reinstall windows completely if all else fails whether you know the admin password or not but thats a last resort

To be fair, i know more than most people do about computers and i don't have a clue what my admin password is.

mmm, thats all for windows 2000 though. will it all be the same command promts?

i put an XP cd in, got to set up screen and tried to do a new install, i can partition the memory and have two windows installed or format drive, but im pretty sure that will wipe my hardrive of everything. dont want to do that and its saying format as ntfs, not giving me system 32 as an option. im lost.

i exited out of that without doing anything, computer said rebooting in 15secs and then proceeded to load windows.

im typing this from my computer and im too scared to turn it off.

spoken to some friends and when you install windows you put in a name and admin password that wont be shown anywhere. ill have to ring CCL and hopefully they use the same one everytime so i can use window repair setup. unless someone knows how to find admin password?

Tim

Try no password as the admin password.. (leave it blank)

thats a good idea - the kind of shop that doesn't tell you the admin password way well be idiot enough to leave it blank. If they did leave it blank be sure to phone them up and call them extremely rude names for leaving your machine wide open to every evil b*****d on the internet .

the xp vs 2000 thing - they're basically the same OS in terms of architecture so I'd be surprised if the steps given didn't work. however - buggering around in there is postentially a bit dangerous so if you're not sure about what you're doing, don't do it.

can you do a system restore from where you're at now? that could well sort it

I had the same thing recently, not the exact same file but something abou System32 etc etc i been told due to the recent Windows Updates and with my copy of XP not being an origional copy, that the updates have rendered it useless, hence forcing me to get an authentic copy? Not sure if this true or i been fed a load of old bollox but anything i do wont work

Frooty