What Is Happening To My Brakes When I Bleed Them?

Onza-rider

Ccan someone tell me what is happening with my brakes when i bleed them.

i make the lever grub screw loose and undo the cylinder screw and put in my syringe with the hose on the end i pump the liquid through and while im pumping near the end i screw the lever screw back in then i take out the syringe and screw the cylinder bolt back in and test the brakes and they only just rub on the rim not grip it.

what is happening???

cheers onza-rider

When you bleed it, make sure the TPA is out!

You want to put the syringe into the caliper. - Where the bigger bolt comes from.

This will make it easier for air to escape, as it'll float up to lever, and out.

When you do up the lever bleed screw, still pump water through slowly, so you get no air in, as it always has water/oil running through it.

Then once that's done up, it'll stop all the water from escaping, so you can unscrew the syringe at the caliper.

You should be able to see that the caliper is full up, if not, put a few drops of water/oil in it, then do up the bleed bolt.

Set it all up again, still with the TPA out, and make sure the pads are an even distance from the rim. Try and get them pretty close (I used a 50p for the pad distance) so you use little TPA.

It should feel really responsive (if you used water...)

If not, take the brake off, and then take it apart, click the link in my signature, and follow that guide. (Y)

When you bleed it, make sure the TPA is out!

You want to put the syringe into the caliper. - Where the bigger bolt comes from.

This will make it easier for air to escape, as it'll float up to lever, and out.

When you do up the lever bleed screw, still pump water through slowly, so you get no air in, as it always has water/oil running through it.

Then once that's done up, it'll stop all the water from escaping, so you can unscrew the syringe at the caliper.

You should be able to see that the caliper is full up, if not, put a few drops of water/oil in it, then do up the bleed bolt.

Set it all up again, still with the TPA out, and make sure the pads are an even distance from the rim. Try and get them pretty close (I used a 50p for the pad distance) so you use little TPA.

It should feel really responsive (if you used water...)

If not, take the brake off, and then take it apart, click the link in my signature, and follow that guide. (Y)

when you say TPA out do you meen twist it to - ?

apart for that cheers for all you help (Y)

Have you checked for leaks? Because if you've bled it several times and followed the lazy piston guide thats the only real thing left that it could be.

Check around the cables and the seals for any water/oil, and squeeze the lever while looking to see if any comes out.

ok i will but i only got the brakes in christmas and when i blead them it just fooked up :angry:

If your bleeding them with oil whilst only having had them at christmas then your a fool and look where it got you. If your bleeding them with water from oil, water is slightly thinner so if you have a small leak its easier for water to escape than oil.

It only takes falling off or catching the cable on something and you can split the plastic hose, so just because you got them at christmas doesn't mean they can't have gained a leak.

If your bleeding them with oil at all whilst only having had them at christmas then your a fool and look where it got you.

If you say you have tried everything, the only thing left to it is that your bleeding skills are shite. Take it to a bike shop, get them to bleed and watch your brake amazingly work again! :o even if there is a leak, then the bikeshop will find + sort that out as well.