Cabel Discs

wilko

My mate has just got a avid bb7 and i have got a hayes cable disc brake and i was just wondering how is is betterthan mine i just don t get it because they aea lot of money and mine wasn t i no the pads and rotor and cable can change a bit but what i want to no is how do the callipers chnge something becausewhat is the diffwerence apart from one says avid and one says hayes

cheers :S

Maybe it's down to punctuation.

Punctuation changes may things you know...

Come to think of it, so does spelling and grammar in general... :turned:

Edit: Should that be "so do spelling and grammar in general" or perhaps even "so does spelling, and grammar in general"...

Now I've started to think about it theres hundreds of ways it could go!

Edited by Monkey Boy

cable brakes are actuated by pulling on the cable, hydraulic brakes are actuated by compressing fluid.

cables have a certain ammount of elastic stretch to them making your cable brakes comparatively spongey and imprecise to the hydraulic setup. Hydraulics should allow you to put more pressure on the disc. the only real difference is the use of fluid to push the pads onto the disc rather than the cables pull and lever system.

Hydraulics are more expensive because the hydraulic pistons and seals are more expensive to produce they have to be more accurate and precise.

do you go to school ?! :blink:

Not having a go but seriously...check you post before you post it, just copy and paste it all into word before you post it up to make sure it's all ok (Y) Then you won't get people having a go, and more people will reply.

In answer to your question;

All the things you said could be changed, have ! Better pads, stronger cables, better bearings in the caliper, and a better lever system. Yours may pull the discs in 1mm for an inch of movement on the lever, whereas the avid will pull the pads on 2mm if you get me. more braking for less strain on your fingers.

Hope that clears it up for you mate.

Joel ;)

Maybe it's down to punctuation.

Punctuation changes may things you know...

Come to think of it, so does spelling and grammar in general... :turned:

Edit: Should that be "so do spelling and grammar in general" or perhaps even "so does spelling, and grammar in general"...

Now I've started to think about it theres hundreds of ways it could go!

You don't put a comma there ;)

Avid bb7's are powerful brakes. They are well designed and well built and outperform a lot of hydraulic discs at much higher prices. The hayes brakes are by no means weak, but an avid bb7 with good pads and a nice clean rotor will probably be that slightest bit sharper.