The Mighty Dribble

20inchsuperstar

well i bought a secondhand mono trial the other day, and as its been sitting on the table has decided to rtake a whizz everywhere.

all the oil is seeping out from under the reservoir cap, so it must be;

a) retarded

or

b ) leaking from somewhere.

i want to know if this has happened to anyone else and how did you fix it and will it cost me much?

thanks in advance,

matt x

Edited by 20inchsuperstar

No, no one has ever had a leaking hope lever in the history of hopes being made. :mellow:

No one will be able to tell you how to fix it untill you know what's wrong.

Look on Chainreaction/hope service manual at the parts, take your's apart and see what bit's are missing/broken, and sort it.

This is a common problem on the mini levers. If you over tighten the reservoir cap then it damages the diaphragm where the gap is at the side to let air in (should see a little notch out of the caps rim if you look closely). Just take the cap off and there will probably be a noticeable mark where the notch is. If there is then that's the problem.

So just top the oil back up and put in a new diaphragm, should be about 1.50 for the diaphragm, and if the shops feeling tight arsed about 50p for the oil. Be careful when you put the cap back on to only very gently tighten the bolts that hold it on, its hardly a structural part, and you don't wanna damage your nice new diaphragm.

If the breaks been upside down or anything while its been leaking then it might need a re-bleed. Shouldn't be more than a fiver, or the shops ripping you off, hopes are way to easy to bleed for them to charge more.

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

This is a common problem on the mini levers. If you over tighten the reservoir cap then it damages the diaphragm where the gap is at the side to let air in (should see a little notch out of the caps rim if you look closely). Just take the cap off and there will probably be a noticeable mark where the notch is. If there is then that's the problem.

So just top the oil back up and put in a new diaphragm, should be about 1.50 for the diaphragm, and if the shops feeling tight arsed about 50p for the oil. Be careful when you put the cap back on to only very gently tighten the bolts that hold it on, its hardly a structural part, and you don't wanna damage your nice new diaphragm.

If the breaks been upside down or anything while its been leaking then it might need a re-bleed. Shouldn't be more than a fiver, or the shops ripping you off, hopes are way to easy to bleed for them to charge more.

I am 100% sure that this is your problem. happened to me too, those 4 bolts really don't need much torque at all, just put them down snug.

There's a small hole between the resevoir cap and the resevoir which allows the diaphragm to "breathe".

If your brake had a badly done re-bleed, some oil could have been trapped between the diaphragm and the resevoir cap causing it to escape through that hole. In this case, it won't leak forever, only until there's no oil above the diaphragm.

Surely you could just remove the cap and have a look inside? The cause will be pretty obvious once you dismantle the lever.

Should of got a avid bb7 mate so much less hassle :lol:

Ben

Not being funny Ben but your a f**king mugg..... i wont say any more here..... but mate.... cock?

On a more usefull note, matt if you know birdman well enough ask him to have a peek at it hes a legend with hope as he runs 2 of them and hes always having problems so hes pretty good judge with them and he recently fixed Baz's so ask him id say

Not being funny Ben but your a f**king mugg..... i wont say any more here..... but mate.... cock?

On a more usefull note, matt if you know birdman well enough ask him to have a peek at it hes a legend with hope as he runs 2 of them and hes always having problems so hes pretty good judge with them and he recently fixed Baz's so ask him id say

Class (Y)

Class (Y)

Well all i can say is if Jack your gunna talk bout me like that like class you can still ow me the 15 quid and simpson your just the mug round here i try and ride and all you can do is disagree with everything i say and do so just stop talking about me behind my back and stop making snotty comments about me ! got me? im tryin hard to get along with everyone and all you do is trow it back in my face!

Edited by ..ben..

Well all i can say is if Jack your gunna talk bout me like that like class you can still ow me the 15 quid and simpson your just the mug round here i try and ride and all you can do is disagree with everything i say and do so just stop talking about me behind my back and stop making snotty comments about me ! got me?

a ) i dont talk behind your back you know what i think of you

B ) thought you wernt stingy and were letting jack off the 15 quid to prove your point?

c ) there not snotty comments at all...... there true

Edited by Simpson

Just one more thing im not letting jack of the 15 quid since i just found out what he wrote about me agreeing with you and matt call up hope and get a service kit like what birdy did (Y)

Edited by ..ben..

Look simpson i dont like you one bit <_< so just leave it off ok! i dont give a crap what u think of me but i no my own views bout you and thats the end of this so. Matt When you get off you ban send dave from tarty a pm and see if he can help you he might no something about hopes if not give HOPE a buz and see if they can sort something out like a service kit, if everything else fails send it back to hope and ask them to see whats up with your brake. :turned:

Edited by ..ben..

erm wait a min i said class (Y) i found what simpson said funny as what i would regarless to who it is aimed at how dose that mean im now saying stuff about you behind your back ben you don't scare me at all i have nufing to be afraid of if i feel you are being a cock to the extent it's bothering me i will say something to you how dose this mean i am saying stuff behind your back it's on a trials-forum it hardly behind your back and its a one word post your geting your self worked up on somthing thats well frankly perfetic.

Jack :blink:

I would say the problems been solved.

And argue on MSN lol.

matt

If the problem aint solved Matt then when your next riding i'll have a look.

Edited by mattyboy2384

Thankyou Jack so Matt before you send it off to hope (if you do) ask around like mates and people and see if they can help you like birdman might be able to help you like he helped Jack if that fails go to your local bike shop and ask but them as a final solution send it back to hope to try and save a bit of money! or try and get a service manual for a hope might work? and sorry Simpson for the things iv'e said about you hope were ok now.

Edited by ..ben..

Thankyou Jack so Matt before you send it off to hope (if you do) ask around like mates and people and see if they can help you like birdman might be able to help you like he helped Jack if that fails go to your local bike shop and ask but them as a final solution send it back to hope to try and save a bit of money! or try and get a service manual for a hope might work? and sorry Simpson for the things iv'e said about you hope were ok now.

.... and breath.

Good luck with the brake though, one thing I can't stand an that's brakes that don't work when you pull them.

That's why I look like this guy.

goonies.jpg