Halo 6-drive

RobinJI

Just browsing the halo site and saw this. Tried searching but nothing. So anyone tryed it. I'm not so keen on the idea of the ratchet being on the freehub body. (not even sure if it would still be called that :huh: ) But I love the design of the pawls and the idea of having 6 pawls in a rear hub. Doesn't say how many engagements the hub has, but it does inply that it uses the pawls in pairs, and the ratchet looks like over 20, so perhaps 60 upwards?

Supose if you kill the ratchet its alot easyer to replace.

Dunno, definatly seems like a potentialy good hub, but then it might skip like a bored schoolgirl.

excite-r6d-r-full.jpg

excite-r6d-r-freehub.jpg

Link to site

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a 6 pawl DMR hub with the ratchet this way around. Never saw in internal view though, so not sure if it had the weird/cool shaped pawls. Care to be more specific about why you weren't too impressed?

Forgot to mention, as a 90 quid hub I'm not expecting it to be a pro II or king rival, just be nice if there were a few more budget hub options out there. At the moment its just Hope XC, Abbah SOS or a freewheel setup. (but if you use a Deng hub even that's pretty expensive, go DMR ;))

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

Fair enough Ali. I'm not keen in the backwards design. But was hoping they'd have made up for it by just overbuilding the thing.

It makes the pawls a lot closer to being at a tangent to the ratchet ring. Which while it puts less sheer stress on the pawls, also reduces the amount of force pushing them harder into the engagement. It also means the ratchet has to have a smaller diameter = smaller circumference = smaller teeth.

Shame its not been designed better. Would be cool to have some more budget options.

Out of interest Ali, how many engagements did it have?

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

Its a copy of the american classic hubs. shadow also used the idea for their bmx hub which ive heard good things about. Its a good idea making the rachet easily replaceable. I would have thought it would have potential if a good hub company like sun or hope developed it, i imagine the taiwanese ones may be a bit crude. Dunno about having a smaller rachet though