1/8" Chain Recommendations

Heatsink

I've got a singlespeed set-up so wanted to replace my 8 speed Sachs MTB chain with a sturdy 1/8" one. The extra width of a 1/8" chain (around 12mm wide) certainly requires special attention to get it to fit around all sprockets and tensioners without fouling anything! I've got a short off cut of one 1/8" chain to give me an idea of the clearance needed.

I've got the front sprocket clearance sorted with a Cloud9 bashguard on Middleburn cranks, and my Rohloff tensioner is currently in pieces so I can measure up for some new axle parts to create enough chain clearance.

My question is;

1. What 1/8" chain do you recommend

2. What issues are there with removing pins and rejoining these chains. It's probabily well trodden ground since I gather that BMXers use 1/8" chains alot? I'm wondering if the wider chain or possible tighter pins causes any problems with using standard chaintools.

Cheers,

Steve

I personally have never had a problem with a KMC kool chain, but the KHE collapse is pretty much the strongest thing out there right now...

About removing and rejoining pins, it can be done with a normal chain splitter, however you may have to mess around a bit, to rejoin an 1/8 chain on my mini park chain tool need to bring the pin pusher right back, but it works. The pins aren't noticeably tighter than a mtb chain.

Hi Steve.

The collapse is the beast if you ask me. Never heard of one snapping on here actually :).

As ^ says, you shouldn't require a new chain tool, what tool do you have? Most will fit (Y)

Edited by deanie-b

I'm currently running a SunRace BMX chain on my dirt/street Revell, as it came HIGHLY recommended by a certain couple of sponsored riders i know, and now me and a couple of BMX mates are running them. They stretch like a beast on the first ride! but I'm assured they are hard as nails, and have resisted much abuse on various peoples bikes. One even flattened a chainring screwing up a pedal grind attempt, and yet the chain remained fine?!

I ran a Kool chain on my last trials rig, and bouygt a 3/32" kool for my Giant build, though I have seen em snap. KMC also do a mega fat gold BMX chain too. weighs a metric tonne, but Alans assured my cousin they are stronger than standard kools. but I do mean VERY heavy!

Smithy

Edited by guineasmithpig

I wouldn't trust anything other the KMC cool or KHE.

My park chain tool just, and i mean just, manages the KMC, but for the KHE i needed to go out and buy a better tool.

Moving the pins in and out isn't a problem with either chain so long as you have a decent tool.

(Y)