Venue Closure

TykeTrial

I've just found a copy of the Lord Mayor of Bradford's speech made at the opening ceremony of the World Championship in 2005. I will send that to Mr Fothergill along with a letter. A few quotes ...

"As Lord Mayor of Bradford may I also welcome you to the Bradford Metropolitan District of Addingham Moorside, where the trials will take place. Addingham Moorside is I know, a well-established and exceptional venue for the British Bike Trial Championship. The largely rock face terrain will I’m sure test all riders to the limit. "

"It is fantastic that a Yorkshire venue has been chosen to host such a world-class event, an event in which 22 nations are represented bringing more than 750 international visitors to the area. Hosting such events is extremely important for both the profile and prosperity of this Region."

"The recent exciting news that London will host the 2012 Olympic Games has already resulted in Yorkshire being identified as a region capable of providing world class training facilities and hosting world class events in a range of different sports. How well we can do this now in ever growing sports and activities such as mountain biking, will, without doubt, influence the allocation of future resources that will enable us to host more major sports events in the Region both pre- and post Olympics."

"I know that in my city of Bradford and District, cycling in its variety of guises is consistently found to be one of the most popular activities amongst our primary school children. After all, most if not all children have, or have access to, a bike. We know that nationwide, obesity levels amongst our children are growing, however, at national, regional and local levels we are working hard to encourage all our young people to be more active – what simpler message could there be than “ ON YER BIKE!” (we say that in Yorkshire, too.)"

"Cycling or biking is both a sport and an everyday activity – I believe that is its great strength. Over this weekend young people will be inspired by performances and skills at the highest level, inspired to get involved, to take part and to be the best that they can be."

"My final message to all the riders this weekend is:-

“Compete fiercely, we expect no less

Compete fairly, we demand no less

But most importantly – enjoy yourselves”

forget your drive by, forget your squeaky brakes, let me know where he lives and me and my landie will go and do some tree surgery :lol:

for those who were there at the worlds up there you will know what i mean :-

or

:P

i can park my camper van, after i've tweeked my emissions, and smoke the tw*t out B)

Edited by rugbyman

Just get loads of riders riding up and down the road for a couple of days to let him know what it would be like if addingham wasn't available to go into.

I can't beleive someone thinks he can close down a world class sporting venue because he wants less traffic outside his house.

I think this should have been left in Trials Chat as it seemed to be getting more traffic. Can it put into NMC so as to involve them as well.

I am not sure how the forum works. But if it is at all possible it would be great.

Thanks

John.

Here is the link to trials central.

come on lads get it signed

http://www.trialscentral.com/petition/index.php

Edited by robster

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard this news! Addingham has to be my favourite venue in the whole of the UK. I think the rocks there are the most fun to ride. There is such a variation of big rocks and technical slopes that you can ride all day and not do the same line twice. Of all the comps I have been to at the venue there always seems to be a section of rocks you've never even looked at before. I remember one comp last year where it rained almost all day but we still had a great time - the rocks are suprisingly grippy! There are so many good places to ride which turn into death traps when wet but not Addingham. I think we need as many riders as possible to write a letter to the landowner. Signing a petition is all well and good but a letter says so much more! I shall be writing one I hope others will do the same.

Heres a pic Mike took from the Tykes round earlier this year. I'm sure anybody who was there will remember the day. It was early February and we were lucky enough to have clear blue skies all day, and a brilliant sunset to finish the day. I certainly hope that won't be my last visit...

post-18-1177186362_thumb.jpg

If we could find out his exact reasons for complaint we could then begin to offer solutions.

(Y)

This is stupid, some guy can't close down the venue just becuase he want's the road to himself. That can't be the reason.

I think there's a case of chinese whispers going on, there's no way the venue can be closed for that reaosn.

I think what should be done is get in touch with the counsil or whatever group the guy is a member of, and double check this is the actual reason as to why it's closed befor posting it up in a forum and giving people the wrong idea.

Then if that is the reason, something could easily be done about it, i don't think there's any reason for partitions, becuase not only do they not every help, but it's better just to go stright to the sorce. I'd do it myself, i'd go knock on the guys door and talk to him personally if i lived in that area.

So what i suggest first is finding out from the sorce, in whatever way that might be.

Edited by JT!

Im so gutted about this, if addingham moorside is no more, theres no reason for having my motorbike, first skipton moor gets closed, because of one women who was linked to the council. Now Addingham under very simaler circumstances. surely you look into the suroundings of a house your going to buy before you go ahead and do it, why should it be diffrent for this guy. any reason hes given has to be ridiculous, hes moved recently and he moans straight away.

maybe the key to sorting this out and would be to organise a shuttle vehicle from silsden and encourage the cycle trials riders to travel by train. this would have a more possitive environmental impact (both a good thing and a good case to argue) and would cut the traffic on the road. it would take more organisation but surely addingham is worth it?

if addingham is to be re accessed everybody needs to work together to reduce the number of vehicles going up there, far too often people (in general) travel with only a half full car, maybe eveyone should consider a bike rack and 4 riders in every car or better a minibus of 15 with a roof rack or trailer...

also anyone who thinks driving scally cars up and down or mass bike protests will do anything at this earl;y stage has no concept of the realities of protests or how to work them in your favour. any actions such as this will close the subject completely and ruin it permenantly. the way forward is to complete a petition and write to the land owner and the house owner expressing your concens about the closure and give them some alternatives. it may be that access can be granted once a month for competition use, not great but better than nothing and a place to start from. if (for example) there was no movement on their part for 6+ months then it may be worthwhile looking into alternative more direct action however i would strongly suggest an exoperienced activist is approached and the legal issues are reviewed before such activity. if this situation ever were to arrise i'm more than willing to take up the role of exploring this side of things as i have some experience in this field anyway however this should be A LAST RESORT AFTER FULL DEMOCRATIC ATTMEPTS HAVE BEEN TRIED.

Edited by spunkey_monkey_boy

really shocking news,

they guy must be one real selfish twat being honest!!

so so many people have to suffer because one fool has a few cars on his road, rediculous!

one option could be to get all trials riders to chip in and have some sort of parking area made on site? i dont know about costs and alol that but im sure somthing could be done?

best of luck! :(