Trials Wiki

Anjow

Thats an awesome idea.

Ive just gone through both Zoo and Echo and added every component they make I think lol

Who knew echo made so much stuff

EDIT: Oh and I sorted out all the Deng made stuff's pages

Nice one :)

Same goes to everyone else whos contributed (Y) adamtrials, endohopper and everyone else (and of course the first wiki mod.. anjow)

Sooo much information already its mad, wonder what it'll be like in a years time!

I've added a user requested articles page and a link to it on the main page. The system may seem a bit complex at first, but I think it's necessary so people can see that their request has been fulfilled rather than having to guess.

I've added a user requested articles page and a link to it on the main page. The system may seem a bit complex at first, but I think it's necessary so people can see that their request has been fulfilled rather than having to guess.

That page should probably be added to the main menu?

I presume only Tomturd can do that?

I had an idea regarding images...

What is this forum's relationship with Tartybikes like? Do you think it would be a good idea to ask if we could use their images of components on the wiki? Not leeching bandwidth, of course, but downloaded and then uploaded the the wiki. I don't see why there would be an objection since the wiki is not a competitor, and perhaps credit could be given on the image details page.

I guess people will know where the images came from, seeing as they all have 'www.tartybikes.co.uk' written across them. :P

Can't see it being a problem, as then people will know where they can buy the products.

I can see it being good only downside is I can also see some people abusing it, which would be a real shame.

There are safeguards against that:

- Articles can be locked

- IPs can be blocked

- Pages that are vandalised can be reverted to previous, clean versions

So really it's no more risky than on a forum.

I've added a category for riding locations. Some kind of standard format for riding spot articles will need to be decided upon.

I'm thinking an article for each town, then in that provide details of individual spots, such as exact location, what's there, difficulty level, possibly pictures etc.

Edit: maybe have categories for counties or regions too, then in that category have the individual towns? Would make it less cluttered and easier to find towns relevant to the user.

Edited by adamtrials

I had an idea regarding images...

What is this forum's relationship with Tartybikes like? Do you think it would be a good idea to ask if we could use their images of components on the wiki? Not leeching bandwidth, of course, but downloaded and then uploaded the the wiki. I don't see why there would be an objection since the wiki is not a competitor, and perhaps credit could be given on the image details page.

I would prefer to use 'homegrown' images if possible rather than watermarked ones.

Theres loads of photo's in the gallery, especially the bike parts section where you'll probably find what you're looking for (Y)

Wouldn't one have to seek permission from the owners to use those though?

I didn't realise the Tartybikes photos were watermarked when I made the suggestion.

Technically yeah.. But I'm sure 99% of the forum would be happy to have them used on the Wiki, when they have already been posted on the forum anyway.

Just added a few more technique ones, found tenbytrials on archive.org and copied my 6/7/maybe more year old how-to's over so they might need a bit of updating!

Would it be better to change the "Mechanical HOWTOs" section to a bike related section, keep the picture menu thing the same, but for example the the brakes page could become a parent category, with general information about brakes on the page, then linking to various sub categories such as brake related HOWTOs, a list of brake pads, etc. Obviously it would be a bit more refined than that...

Hope that makes sense...

Would it be better to change the "Mechanical HOWTOs" section to a bike related section, keep the picture menu thing the same, but for example the the brakes page could become a parent category, with general information about brakes on the page, then linking to various sub categories such as brake related HOWTOs, a list of brake pads, etc. Obviously it would be a bit more refined than that...

Hope that makes sense...

I was thinking that. Basically as if the title was 'Everything you needs to know about...' (thats just a silly example) instead of mechanical howto's.

I say go for it :) I'll join in after I've eaten something.

EDIT: Tools could also be changed to 'Other stuff' and include tools, component weights, choosing a bike etc?

How should the naming work?

Would "Brakes" be fine as the name of the parent category, then have "Brake related HOWTOs", "Brake manufacturers" etc?

Uhm :ermm:

I've started with Overview, Mechanical HOWTOs, (should that be How To's?) then Brake Manufacturers and Other Stuff might be good. I'm really not sure :P I'd say just go for whatever you think is right and it can always be changed later (Y)

(should that be How To's?)

You've invoked the pedant in me:

How To's would pretty much mean 'something belonging to How To'; the apostrophe is not meant to be there. There are two commonly accepted terms for that sort of guide; HOWTO and how-to - I think HOWTO is better because it's less ambiguous when you're referring to several of them (HOWTOs compared to how-tos).