Helicoiling

strelly

Just helicoiled 4 holes on my frame today, thought i share this pic with you all as it took me a while getting my head around the whole process!

I think it shows how helicoiling works quite well... or it could just be the fact i did it earlier!

Enjoy

DSCF248523.jpg

I have to say that if you have enough meat on your frame it might be worth trying to re-thread mounts. My mate has a threading kit and has re-threaded a few things for me, seems a lot better as its on the same material and not adding a new piece of metal.

Looks good though.

Looks good :) They don't last forever though do they?

How hard is it to jusT put m6 threads in the frame instead? Someone on here said they did it

Leon

I had the option to use a M6 thread, its a much simpler thing to do. But i like using standard sizes, it makes things much easier in the long run!

If i didnt have access to a helicoil kit i would have tapped them out to M6.

Im considering doing that but will it just make the problem a little bit larger as the helicoil will thread the frame too.

I reckon its actually stronger than the original thread as its a steel, and its gripping onto a larger surface area of aluminum (as its a m6-ish thread).

Time will tell!

Edited by strelly

Looks good, i'm getting my one done tomorrow hopefully...

The normal size is M5 yah..?

Yea that thread is now M5x0.8 as it should be.

Just drilled out the exising hole with 5.2mm bit.

Tapped it with the correct tap to the helicoil (it should come in with the kit).

Then screwed in the helicoil with the driver tool thing.

Bit confusing at first, but simple once youve done it!

Thats the first thing I would do when buying a new frame to save future arsing about.

Stick helicoils in from the word go.

Or , as on my Leeson, just buy four nuts to go in the gap between the seatstays and mounts.

( proper magura steel four bolt mounts ).

Thats the first thing I would do when buying a new frame to save future arsing about.

Stick helicoils in from the word go.

if it aint broke dont fix it?

helicoils rock. plus theres that thing about stainless bonding to aluminium when it gets wet? but ive never found a problem anyway :)

All these people saying they dont last forever and bla bla bla load of bullshit. there a lot stronger then standard threads a lot smoother and put it this way ive overtightened a bolt and it just flattened the threads on the bolt didnt damage the helicoil, there f**king awsome, they should come standard on frames ne how!