Still Going Backwards

duane

Hi,

I am starting to ride more rocks, but its very quickly shown up that I am still hopping backwards while on the backwheel.

I can get on the back wheel half a dozen different ways, from just leaning back and pressing on the pedals - great as the back wheel stays in the same place - to the other extreme I kick and pull hard to place the back wheel where the front was.

In the first case I manage a few (two) hops then start inching backwards, in the second case my very first hop on landing is a big correction backwards after which I stablise with the back wheel more or less where the bottom bracket was and then start creeking back again inch by inch.

So is it something about my position, set up, technique or anything else I should look at ?

Thanks

Duane.

PS Did search, didn't find anything. Als I have watched loads of videos and cant see anything that I am doing differently

Hi,

I am starting to ride more rocks, but its very quickly shown up that I am still hopping backwards while on the backwheel.

I can get on the back wheel half a dozen different ways, from just leaning back and pressing on the pedals - great as the back wheel stays in the same place - to the other extreme I kick and pull hard to place the back wheel where the front was.

In the first case I manage a few (two) hops then start inching backwards, in the second case my very first hop on landing is a big correction backwards after which I stablise with the back wheel more or less where the bottom bracket was and then start creeking back again inch by inch.

So is it something about my position, set up, technique or anything else I should look at ?

Thanks

Duane.

PS Did search, didn't find anything. Als I have watched loads of videos and cant see anything that I am doing differently

Sounds to me like your just starting out, and are getting on the back wheel but keeping the rear brake locked whilst your on it. The easiest way to combat this is to do some very small gapping hops, only about a foot or so, to learn how to inch forwards slowly. Once you can competantly hop a couple of inches forwards at a time using the pedal hop technique (get on the back wheel, let go of brake, stamp on pedals, jump in the air, re apply brake, land) you'll start to be able to shift the wheel along without letting go of the brake.

At all times keep your weight forwards more though... ideally you want to be hopping on the spot without moving anywhere, and if you going backwards... it means your too far back. Lean forwards more and keep your elbows bent and you'll be fine.

Yeah, it's just going to be a case of practising. If you can hop forwards (by pedal kicking) and back / sideways, all fairly comfortably, then it's just a case of getting your weight in the right place. Once you get the hang of balance it's dead easy, but it will take some practise.

well one thing that helps me is get your ass over the back wheel and as you hop straighten your legs out. thats called boobming its when your hopping and you going forward slightly. give it ago. matt

Do you mean booning? I don't think that's especially useful to try when you're just starting.

Yeah, it's just going to be a case of practising. If you can hop forwards (by pedal kicking) and back / sideways, all fairly comfortably, then it's just a case of getting your weight in the right place. Once you get the hang of balance it's dead easy, but it will take some practise.

Do you mean booning? I don't think that's especially useful to try when you're just starting.

Lol, i wasn't going to mention it... thought he knew he'd called it some retarded name on purpose :lol:

All these things people are talking about are easy to describe when you know how to do it, but hard to actually do because of the coordination. I haven't managed to gap yet.

I'm just starting too, and whilst I don't move backwards I do know it can be hard not to. One thing that might help is having the front of the bike higher - this way you won't be pulling on the handlebars as much when you hop, and as such you won't be pulling them back as much. When you're pulling back on the handlebars you're kind of trying to force the back wheel forwards, which will make you move backwards.

All these things people are talking about are easy to describe when you know how to do it, but hard to actually do because of the coordination. I haven't managed to gap yet.

I'm just starting too, and whilst I don't move backwards I do know it can be hard not to. One thing that might help is having the front of the bike higher - this way you won't be pulling on the handlebars as much when you hop, and as such you won't be pulling them back as much. When you're pulling back on the handlebars you're kind of trying to force the back wheel forwards, which will make you move backwards.

Thats not right at all, higher bars alters the point of balance so much its going to be even harder not to hop back.

Like already explained... by people who KNOW what they're talking about. In order to hop on the spot you need to find the point of balance, keep you elbows bent and just jump up and down with your feet. Keeping your elbows bent soaks up any potential pulling on the bars and keeps the bike in the same place.

I was only sharing my experience and how I stopped hopping backwards. I'll not bother in the future if it'll only be met with rudeness. You could have just corrected my theory without the gibe.

Edited by Anjow

He was saying you didn't have to be rude...

he wasn't being rude, he was just simply disagreeing with what anjow said, as it was wrong, he was just giving duane the option to try both methods. i dont see the problem.

Edited by ash-kennard

Personally I'm not one for taking advise.. i never used trashen and always found the best and safest way to practice anything safley is to just to get out the front and get hopping up and down the cerb. Just stick to the basics and try harder and things you find difficult... like at 1 stage i could rolling gap 7 foot but not static gap like 4 foot... so just do what you find hardest and when you nail it, it will be very satisfying! lol

Now i cant roll as big but can do both just over 6foot so im happy! lol

That seemed rude to me, but then maybe it wasn't intended to be. And from whence the confusion arose :P

Ah right. I meant it in the way that the other people who'd explained could already do it, where as anjo admitted he was only just learning and explained something that would, in all fairness, make it more difficult. So i made the distinction a bit more clear.

Yeah, wasn't meant to be rude. Just to make it clear i knew what i was on about.

Hi,

I might have been missing the point here somewhere. When you are on the back wheel is there a balance point at which you can hop in place or is it more a case of continual correction hops backwards and (booning ?) forwards that just looks like hopping in place at the balance point ?

Thanks for you help

Duane.

Hi,

I might have been missing the point here somewhere. When you are on the back wheel is there a balance point at which you can hop in place or is it more a case of continual correction hops backwards and (booning ?) forwards that just looks like hopping in place at the balance point ?

Thanks for you help

Duane.

Yeah, it's just about finding roughly where the balance point is, and using little hops to correct if you are too far forwards or back. There's no way you can just stay at the perfect balance point without hopping, but if you know where the balance point is, then your hops can be smaller. You can correct to a certain extent just by leaning (no hopping) but it's hard and no-one can do that for more than a few seconds at the most.

Yeah, it's just about finding roughly where the balance point is, and using little hops to correct if you are too far forwards or back. There's no way you can just stay at the perfect balance point without hopping, but if you know where the balance point is, then your hops can be smaller. You can correct to a certain extent just by leaning (no hopping) but it's hard and no-one can do that for more than a few seconds at the most.

My personal best is 11 :$

I'm sure soem people can just balance there though... i know one guy who could hold an icepick stall on a hand rail for something silly like 3 minutes... if he can do that on a peg i would have thought soemone could do it for longer... just practice and good balance i guess.

• 1 month later...

"Patsy Kensit has the answer when Trials Forum Doesn't."

Hi,

I am not going backwards any more and its all down to Patsy Kensit.

About half way through Tricks and Stunts she says 'Remember to always keep pushing forwards on the pedals while backhopping' or something like that. I had already noticed from videoing myself that I was going backwards due to the bike realigning itself a little further back under me with each hop rather than me physically hopping back and pulling the bike with me. A little forward pressure an the pedals to put the bike back down where it came from and its all sorted, no pedal kicks or booning required.

Thanks Patsy!

Edited by duane

julien just told me to release the brake and level the pedals out while i was in the air - since he's the f**king don I listened to him and voila, instant static backhops.

i can do 3 or 4 brakeless backhops on a bmx using the same technique now so it's gotta be good