I'm About To Cry

Token

I could post this is in the Angry Thread but.... I need abit of feedback.

I bought some Tensile cranks, with eno and BB off someone on here. They were described as fine, perfectly working. Now somehow, this guy managed to post these bits to somebody else. 2 weeks later of chasing up where they ended up and I managed to pick them up. Wicked, so the non-driveside pedal thread is screwed up, order one from Supercycles and they manage to delay that process by another 11 days. So here I am, today. Cranks are on, pedal thread is in. Pedals are ok-go. Yay I can finally get out on the bike after 3 weeks...

So my first gap on this setup and it feels like the wheel is slipping, no traction. So I go for it again, and it happens again I'm just not going anywhere. Ofcourse I check it out and notice that I can turn the cranks round without the freewheel moving (the chain and freewheel stay stationery, but both cranks an bb move round) so it looks to me as if the freewheel or the crank threads have been threaded. Now I hope some of you can see how justifyingly furious I am 3 weeks of waiting, lies and just stupid cockups and a pretty much brand new bike that I can't ride. Tomorrow I'll go down to halfords and make free use of their tools to take the freewheel off and actually see whether the crank or the freewheel is getting threaded.

The question: If the cranks are threaded, can I get a free or half price replacement? Obviously if the freewheel has threaded then I'll need a new inner ring. I'm praying that both haven't threaded. God I feel like I've been so ripped off I want to cry.

:( one very unhappy mat.

If it helps, I have some tensiles and an Eno for sale.

Also isn't your bike the nice new Monty or am I thinking of someone else?

EDIT:Dont you need a reciept in order to get your halfprice crash relacement?

Edited by kcchan

dsc00051bo6.jpg

There it is....

Ben, did you have to buy a brand new one? Or can you get a replacement? Oh and what do I do about a receipt, obviously they're second hand now. Hopefully It won't matter as I'm sure theres a lifetime half price crash replacement with tensile stuff.

how many times did you try the gap? if you only put weight on the pedals for a few seconds it could jsut be the freewheel tightening upto the cranks, but that should go away after like doing 3 decent gaps

That is well bad luck mate, you'll get through it. I bought a t-pro that had barely been ridden and after a month I cracked the frameon the downtube. So I bought a Zona Zip. And cracked it at the rear bashplate mount.

How thick is that bashplate, does it fit on the splines (do your cranks even have bashplate splines?), and can you remember how much thread was showing when you screwed the freewheel on?

Well as I said, I've only just bought these cranks, this is literally my first time riding them. Ofcourse they were all put together by the guy I bought them off so I guess he could be to blame, or either that, tensile metal is like a soft shropshire brie cheese. I just can't believe it's happened.

P.s the bashplate is approx 4mm thick, if that has anything to do with it. It moves with the crank, when the freewheel stays still so I'm pretty sure it does have splines otherwise the cranks would turn an the freewheel an bash would stay together.

sorry to hear bout such bad luck you havin dude.

mmm got no ideas how to solve it... just felt really gutted just readin this whole post ... i know it sucks dude but try n stay positive.

bad luck doesnt last.... just remember we never appreciate the good times without bad 1s.

hope you on the up and up soon mate ... good luck with it.

PS - wont be buyin tensiles...

There are two designs of tensiles, the splined bash ones (the UCI version)

large_tensileucisplines.jpg

and normal ones, imagine that picture with the threads extending all the way up to the arm. On the first tensiles, the thread was very long and you could safely get a bashring on before the freewheel. Without a bashring, the freewheel screwed too far on and instead of tightening down on the arm as it should, it tightened down on the end of the threads. So they included a machined plain section (seen in the pic above). The UCI cranks have a spline to take a 5mm (I think) thick bashring, and still leave enough thread to hold the freewheel. My guess is your bashring has taken up too many threads, leaving the freewheel hanging on by probably only 6 or 8 mil. You'll more than likely have stripped the crank, freewheels are tough beasts so that should've survived.

The original Tensiles with long thread were designed to take a straight through freewheel and would not take an ACS/ Shimano etc because it was too long. The cranks were then modified with a step at the end of the thread to take this type of freewheel. They were never intended to take a bash as well and if so used there would be inadequate thread length and the threads would certainly be prone to stripping. The UCI version is designed to take a bash plate on the splines and still adequately hold a freewheel.

We certainly stand by our half price replacement policy despite the fact that you patently do not qualify. When you call me with such a problem in the future , by the way, I would recommend that you tell me the whole truth. Tensile products are premium products and our warranty is second to none. We are certainly more sympathetic to customers who do not try to bullshit us. Being economical with the facts does not usually work as the truth usually comes out.

LOLZZZOO00RzzZZ!!11!!!one!!!1!oneone @ Scopse trying to blag Tensile :P .

Either way, that is a tad unlucky about what happened.

The frame is looking good, too, mate :) ...

Cheers,

Joe.

I spoke to Jack@Supercylces earlier today and this has been sorted out, there was a slight misunderstanding in which Mike thought I told him I bought the cranks off him a few weeks ago, obviously that'd be abit of a stupid thing to lie about because he can quite easily find out whether or not that is true. What I did say was that I bought the cranks a few weeks ago from somebody on here (referred to as a friend, to Mike). I think I've been quite easy going because all I want is a bike that's rideable an that's not a hard thing to ask for, when these parts are covered by a lifetime crash replacement, so please dont jump to conclusions, nobodys lied. And nobody needs a poor reputation.

I am sorry if this came across as an accusation of lieing as it was not my intention. He certainly did not lie and I apologise to him if anyone got that impression. He just did not give me the complete story which would have been quicker and easier for both of us.

This was not really about this particular incident , but a general observation. We get regular telephone calls where customers ask about warranty queries and these are often very vague with reference to what has actually happened and when and where the item was purchased. If you want an item replaced FOC under the warranty then we need chapter and verse about when and where purchased, we need paperwork and we need to inspect it first. The warranty is very specific with regards to our liability. With the half price replacement policy we are much more relaxed and it will pay you to give us the full story straight off. The only definite requirement is that you must return it to us for scrapping. We do not want to end up doing a half price replacement on the same item several times.

I read this thread a few minutes after speaking to Mat on the phone and got a totally different perception than the one I got from him. It is particularly annoying when a thread like this leads to comments like " I won't be buying Tensiles then". I have received the crank back today and only the first five threads were stripped, nothing like enough threads to hold on a freewheel. The crank has clearly had some heavy usage and is, I would guess, well over a year old and shows no signs of any other problem. It is in actual fact a great endorsement for Tensile and a great advert for using a product in the way it was originally intended and not abusing it. If you want a UCI bashguard on your Tensile crank, get an Urban Legend and you still get ten full threads for your freewheel.

By the way, its Joe@Supercycles not Jack.

By the way, its Joe@Supercycles not Jack.

Sorry. I wrote Jack in the note aswell. :$ Apologies to him.

Anyway, I've had a biased view so far obviously because I've only had bad luck. But I'm really looking forward to have it all together as it should be and hopefully being able to come on here in the future and give positive feedback about Tensile. Now If I can CNC an alu bashplate (to be different) I'll see you all at the DJ ride and I'll be able to make it to a demo. :D