Profile Hub Problems

Alastair

Hey Guys

My rear Profile hub has broken. I can move the cranks foward freely without any resistance so something must have snapped inside of it. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? And if Profile would allow me to send it back because i bought it off a mate and its a few years old. Or if I should just take it to a bikeshop to have a look at, because it could be cheaper than posting the whole wheel off, though i have no idea about labour costs.

Al

Contact Steve or Sam at Profile Racing Europe on 02380 458 328.

Explain whats happening and you'll be able to send it to them for a service where they will replace what needs replacing and make sure everything's back to tip top.

Bongo

Take the driver off first, use a screw driver or something or just pull hard they just slide off make sure no pawls go flying.

1st check if all the pawls and springs are ok.

if so then thats not the problem

2nd check the ratchet ring teeth see if they are all ok

if so that not the problem again obviously

3rd check the racket to see if it spins, see of it will move with the force of your hand if not give it a LITTLE tap with hammer and screwdriver, if it is able to turn then thats your problem and you need a new hub shell as the rachet ring has striped the thread it screws on to in the hubshell. A new hubshell comes with a rachet ring in it and arent to hard to fit. If it doesnt turn then i havnt a clue what it could be.

Also if you are going to send it to profile uk then u need to send them just the hub not the wheel. But its not hard to fit new parts to them they are very simple and just slide together.

One fo the springs probaly snapped.

Happened to my old one.

Just orderd a new un of tarty.

7 quid down the line...

If one spring snapped that would still leave 3 more pawls to engage and the guy said its not engageing and is spining therefore thats not the problem.

yeah im going to go with ratchet going free, if it was just springs/pawls it would still engage with one or so pawls...

Rachets screw on like freewheel so that the more you kick it tightens itself in. So unluckily it won't have just come free it will have stripped the threads and therefore you need a new hubshell and seeing as you got it second hand you will have to pay full price unless you ask your mate to phone up and is able to prove he bought it from a shop. If he can do that they will hell you the hubshell at trade price which is around 30quid i think. Otherwise you will have to pay full price for one which is around 50quid.

Also if you are going to send it to profile uk then u need to send them just the hub not the wheel. But its not hard to fit new parts to them they are very simple and just slide together.

why would he need to send just the hub, when i sent my profile back, i sent it as a wheel, on a ground koxx rim, and they didnt say anything. when i rang up and explaind that there were bits missing out of the ratchet, they just said send it back with postage paid for when we post it back to you they didnt ask how old it was or if i had proof of purchase, and they did the rest for free, it only took 3 days aswell and the hub came back like new, cant remember exactley what they replaced, as it was so long ago but im pretty shure they replaced the ratchet, pawls, springs and the driver bearings, as they had gone and i got new bolts and washers lol.

your best bet is to give profile a ring like bongo said, they will sort it out for you (Y)

why would he need to send just the hub, when i sent my profile back, i sent it as a wheel, on a ground koxx rim, and they didnt say anything. when i rang up and explaind that there were bits missing out of the ratchet, they just said send it back with postage paid for when we post it back to you they didnt ask how old it was or if i had proof of purchase, and they did the rest for free, it only took 3 days aswell and the hub came back like new, cant remember exactley what they replaced, as it was so long ago but im pretty shure they replaced the ratchet, pawls, springs and the driver bearings, as they had gone and i got new bolts and washers lol.

your best bet is to give profile a ring like bongo said, they will sort it out for you (Y)

Because by the sounds of it the rachet has striped the thread in the hubshell and if thats the case it means they will have to unbuild a wheel which im sure they will charge labour for. And its extra postage costs anyway, so you might aswell unbuild the wheel yourself and save in costs.

Edited by andy h