What Grease To Use!

elliott the onza man

I have decided to use grease to prevent the threads in my frame from stripping however, i am not sure what grease to use as i have lithium based grease in my garage but is it much different from copper grease and would it be okay to use on my brake mount bolts.

Thanks a lot, Elliott.

Yeah that stuff is nice and light. Copper is super messy, but great for semi permanent press fit parts.

Just make sure the threads are clean and free of any shit. Use a pipe cleaner or cotton wool bud to clean the brake mounts, just make sure to blow out any fluff that they may leave behind.

If you're using alloy bolts a torque ratchet may be helpful if you have access to one. But i never managed to snap an alloy brake mount bolt with the use of normal allen keys.

:)

Grease will not prevent your threads from stripping. It will keep them from seizing. Any grease is fine. If you are doing bearing repacking, however unlikely on a trials bike, Phil Wood waterproof grease is hands down the best, most long lasting stuff ever. Copper is most useful for Ti bolts which like to seize to other metals. To avoid stripping, refrain from using ham hands.

Edited by afrobot

Grease will not prevent your threads from stripping. It will keep them from seizing. Any grease is fine. If you are doing bearing repacking, however unlikely on a trials bike, Phil Wood waterproof grease is hands down the best, most long lasting stuff ever. Copper is most useful for Ti bolts which like to seize to other metals. To avoid stripping, refrain from using ham hands.

You're right, it wont stop threads stripping out from sheer force, but in my experience brake mount threads usually tear out due to friction and grease will most certainly help. Molybdenum for preference, lithium is fine, copper tends to grind away at aluminium in threads that are often adjusted like brake bolts.

cooking oil is great

so is cheese

olive oil if you feeling a little gourmet italiano

an herbs as thread locker too !!

on a more serious note, im all my bike fixing,building experiance... shimano anti seize in the king !!!

better than copper grease and not messy.

iolo.

I'd heard the one about greasing threads to prevent them stripping. Kinda makes sense, plumbers use ptfe tape on fittings, not to prevent water passing through, but to allow the fitting to tighten up more by using the ptfe (non-stick) as a lubricant.