Suitable Bike For Long Distance?

MadManMike

So last year I did Hastings to Brighton on my single speed DMR jump bike, which was not ideal - which was the intention.

This year I'm doing Hastings to Plymouth and would like a bike that's kind of a cross between a jump bike and a "proper" bike. I'm thinking maybe a 26" with front suspension that can be locked for when on the road?

Any suggestions?

Would quite like something I can take on the road but throw around offroad too...

So last year I did Hastings to Brighton on my single speed DMR jump bike, which was not ideal - which was the intention.

This year I'm doing Hastings to Plymouth and would like a bike that's kind of a cross between a jump bike and a "proper" bike. I'm thinking maybe a 26" with front suspension that can be locked for when on the road?

Any suggestions?

Would quite like something I can take on the road but throw around offroad too...

a bigger sized trailstar is what i would use

Can you throw some gears and some forks onto the DMR? I wouldn't be too fussed about being able to lockout the front suspension for road work. Rear sus yes but front only makes a difference when you're on a climb out of the saddle (which tends to only be for relatively short periods in theory).

I can't add anything on to my DMR, as it's no longer mine so I'm looking for a new (or second hand bike). I've been offered something which seems alright, will definitely look into the tyre choices though....

Hadn't thought about it to be honest!

It was something that had never crossed my mind until a few months ago. I rode a similar route twice with two different types of tyres. First time round was with narrow light kenda Kwicker tyres (I've been impressed with them) second time round was with Maxxis High Roller 2.35 single ply tyres and the difference was huge. I was fine the first time round full of energy and totally shattered and behind everyone the second time round because the tyres just wouldn't roll they were far too grippy. The funny thing was the kendas gripped just as well through the muddy parts I rode. Obviously I haven't got a high standard of riding off road but I could really feel the difference between the two pairs of tyres.

It was something that had never crossed my mind until a few months ago. I rode a similar route twice with two different types of tyres. First time round was with narrow light kenda Kwicker tyres (I've been impressed with them) second time round was with Maxxis High Roller 2.35 single ply tyres and the difference was huge. I was fine the first time round full of energy and totally shattered and behind everyone the second time round because the tyres just wouldn't roll they were far too grippy. The funny thing was the kendas gripped just as well through the muddy parts I rode. Obviously I haven't got a high standard of riding off road but I could really feel the difference between the two pairs of tyres.

Yeah well the last time I did Hastings to Brighton I had fairly hard gearing and 2.35 Moto Diggers so thinking about it they probably made the journey twice as hard!

I'll have a look at those Kenda's, they sound good - I too don't have brilliant off road skills but I'd like to throw it around a little bit :)

Something like a Tyax with a pair of maxxis wormdrives would do the job. Think you can get them for less than 200 quid new.

I'm looking to spend a lot more than that if buying new to be honest, I wouldn't trust a cheaper bike to do the distance.

I've upped my game, going to Lands End now over the course of about 3 days, I need a bike that can take a fair amount of abuse.

Some sort of Specialized Hard Rock would do the job nicely. Look for some tyres with a smoother section in the middle for the road, and nice big knobbly bits around the edge to grip on softer ground. Then pump them up to 60psi.

I've done a few long rides on MTB, BMX, and even 25+ miles on a trials bike with silly gearing and no seat. I've since bought a dedicated road bike... Once you've experienced a lightweight ride, 700c wheels, 110psi and short ratio gearing, you'll never want to ride anything else on the roads!

• 3 weeks later...

Why would he get a mountain bike, stop suggesting hardrocks etc. They will be useless.

Search Specialized Crosstrail and choose your spec. MTB stye frame (clearance, mudguard space, rack mounts etc) with 700c wheels. Will roll nicely on the road, unlock the fork and you've got a bike that will more than fine on bumpy terrain. They range from £450 upwards. £600 might get you one secondhand with disc brakes etc.

Whyte also do the Caledonian which is a higher spec of this, triple butter frame etc but price jumps alot and I don't think you would find one second hand.

The bigger wheel size will make a massive difference, especially over the distance your talking about. Slick will help but combine 700c with slick, sorted.

Crosstrail. prefect. Could go higher spec again too.

I missed the jump part. I think you needs are too far apart. Something suitable for road won't jump well. Something that Jumps well will be crap on the road.

Edited by DrEvil270183

I missed the jump part. I think you needs are too far apart. Something suitable for road won't jump well. Something that Jumps well will be crap on the road.

Yeah the closest thing you'll find is a dmr EXALT, its an inch longer then the trailstar i beleive, its a hardtail free ride bike.. they jump well, i cant jump and i manage to do a three set of tables at Penshurst (PORC), i cant jump for shit so? its not bad for commuting as its not low like a park bike if you get me? and they dont look that bad... i can upload a picture of mine if you like?

Yeah that could work. Check out a Marin B17 too. Cheaper than a rockyridge, it's a hardcore hardtail. You might pick one up with a adjustable travel PIKE with lockout. drop the travel, get some panaracer mach S tyres. slick centre with grip on the outside. That could be good root.

Second hand B17 and some Mach S tyres. THey ride nice too, short back end, manual and hop really well.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear - I didn't mean I want to do jumps, I mean that kinda style bike, so fairly small but comfortable enough to do long distance on.

I was initially thinking something like a trailstar, but now I'm thinking along the lines of the B17 with semi-slicks. I guess I really need to get out on a couple of different bikes.

Lockout is a definite requirement for the forks.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll have a browse and report back with any questions (There's bound to be some!!)