Stuck sprocket, any advice

trialsnake

Know this has been covered before but hitting a dead end so looking for some brainstorming.

The screw on sprocket on my echo TR hub is stuck on.

Steps taken so far:

1. Soaked in WD40

2. Attempted removal with chain whip - snapped

3. Got bike shop to try better chain whip -no luck

4. Hammer and chisel - no luck

5. Cut teeth on opposite sides then in vice with 1m of leverage - nothing

6. Drilled holes as close to threads as I dare then attempted 4 and 5 - nothing

7. Blowtorch heated then tried 4 and 5 - nothing

Only step I can think of is dremel it but any other advice welcomed???

Going to try the blowtorch again tonight just in case the heating and cooling has worked wonders but not holding much hope.

Funnily enough Adam, I just e-mailed you about that...

As with Adam, the method of doing it where you wrap a piece of chain around the sprocket then clamp that in the vice seems to work best from my experience. If you leave the tyre on and inflated, you can get a couple of you grabbing it and wrestle it off that way. It seems like shocking it initially works best which is why I've often found that just going down the long leverage bar route didn't work as well.

• Like 1

what I have done::

Go to the lcoal car mechaniker, asked to borrow the vice, that is designed for car parts so beefy, and bought some KMC 610 chain (really beefy)

Then tartys method, dont be afraid to push the wheel hard. spokes will bend and it will be scary, but then again this is the only way to take off the sprocket.

after retension the spokes

what I have done::

Go to the lcoal car mechaniker, asked to borrow the vice, that is designed for car parts so beefy, and bought some KMC 610 chain (really beefy)

Then tartys method, dont be afraid to push the wheel hard. spokes will bend and it will be scary, but then again this is the only way to take off the sprocket.

after retension the spokes

You must have a terrible wheel builder if your spokes bend while taking a sprocket off!

If you give it a "1... 2... 3... Now" count-in and both do it at the same time it'll work a lot better (Y) I can't remember if it's in the TartyBikes video or not, but the "pinched link" thing works really well for stopping the chain/sprocket from just slipping around in the vice. All you do is just have it so that instead of the chain wrapping completely around the sprocket, over one tooth you have a link 'pinched' up away from the tooth.

You must have a terrible wheel builder if your spokes bend while taking a sprocket off!

it was a used wheel, builder unknown

basically 2 of us were turning the wheel

it was not that serious as the crank though

it took me a 5 feet pole and loads of power, while hoping that the chain will not brake. it did not

Aluminium crank / hub will expand more quickly than steel sprocket, so heat is not ideal.

It does. I've done it.

Sorry, short post as was on phone - I meant for one that's actually tight. You would just snap the chain even if you had a 20ft long chain whip.

I would have thought excessive heat transfer could damage the bearing in the hub too as the flame doesnt just touch the sprocket.

I use a 5" length of brass and work my way round the sprocket bashing it in the loosening direction a few times, then wrap it in a length of old chain in the vice. Borrow a mate and turn the wheel hard, it'll come off. Worked lots of ti mes and never damaged a sprocket as the brass is softer than the steel teeth.

It sounds like yours was fitted without grease on the threads and some kind of alloying has happened. Had this with pedal threads before and the crank material ripped out within the threads when i tried to unscrew the pedal.