Natural Riding Tips

Joe Sheehan

So I'm struggling with natural riding, I've been getting back into trials doing more street/TGS which I've got to an ok level at, and then I had a crack at natural. I really want to excel in it as I think it gives you better control when you're practicing, but it's really hard for me! Has anyone got any tips? Maybe tyre pressures perhaps? Or some decent videos where I can study it a bit.

Cheers for the help.

personally i ride anything i want :P I do mostly streety stuff, but im happy doing decent gaps and taps, whilst loving to ride natural as best i can too!

Natural is hard.... But if you practice on it a lot it makes your riding ridiculously good from what ive seen with some riding friends. Message Ask Kennard about natural riding, I'm sure he's the one you wanna speak to (Y)

but other than that, yeah, natural is hard! :P It'll definitely benefit your riding though because its the hardest stuff to control your riding on. That's definitely what ive found out for myself. But dont get me wrong its so much fun once you get it under control haha. All i can say is look a lot more and focus a lot more on what your riding, and take it slower at first even if you feel your riding or technique is rushed at random points or its sloppy. :)

Edited by JJ Leigh

• 3 weeks later...

Message Ask Kennard about natural riding, I'm sure he's the one you wanna speak to (Y)

The Agony Aunt?

As has been said, arm pump comes on a lot quicker riding natural, mainly because you rely heavily on using your brakes to keep you staying put. So try and ride using your brakes only when you need to. Instead of holding on your brakes to stop you from rolling backwards, keep the pressure on your leading foot just enough that you don’t roll backwards/forwards.

It also might help if there is another rock to lean/wedge your front wheel against to stop you from going anywhere.

Being "good on two wheels" also counts for a lot. Being able to hop around on rocks on the back wheel is fine enough, but when the situation comes where you can’t do that, you need to be able to know exactly where both your contact points are for your tyres. For example, if you pedal kick forwards to place your front wheel on a rock, you need to make sure you know where your back wheel is going to land at the same time. Situational awareness is key.

Going back to what I was saying about using your brakes. Try to use either one or the other. If you're on the back wheel, there’s no need for grabbing a load of front brake - building up arm pump for no reason. Same goes when you're going through a section on two wheels - often there’s no need to use the back brake, conserving your energy in that arm for when you really need it.

There's also a common misconception that you have to run lower tyre pressures when riding natural. Thats not the case. I actually run higher pressures! Bouncing your front wheel off pointy rocks is going to get you a pinch at lower pressures. Trials tryes are grippy enough without having to run them at 5psi.

A bit about body position. To maintain stamina, when resting between moves, keep your arms/legs out of tension/compression (dont know the right word to use?) as much as possible. If I have stopped and Im spotting a line, ill keep my arms and legs straight. (Y)

There's also a common misconception that you have to run lower tyre pressures when riding natural. Thats not the case. I actually run higher pressures! Bouncing your front wheel off pointy rocks is going to get you a pinch at lower pressures. Trials tryes are grippy enough without having to run them at 5psi.

Exactly, Looks like they are low pressures because they're usually on sharp edges. I lower my pressure for street.