what 26" tyres.....sorry!

Explosifpete

Building up my first trials bike which is a inspired Hex 26.

it will be mostly used on concrete but also a bit of woodland hopping and im unsure of tyre choice, but lucky for me I have a good pool of tyres to choice from as all my mtb buddies have gone 27.5

So the choices are

Conti Baron 2.3 black chili

Cont Xking 2.4 tubeless

Maxxis larsen

maxxis high roller 2.35

nobby nics 2.4 (although they come up huge)

loads of other random tyres.

Im not really sure what i'm looking for, i would guess stiff sidewalls and sticky compounds would be good

Any suggestions would be great

Continental der Kaiser is the reigning heavyweight champion for excellence in trials... you will never flat, get the right one and it's super grippy, the sidewall is  concrete and doesn't fold- but it is a heavy boy... cut off all the knobs and it's quite great, especially for heavy riders.

Myself and Aaron Browne run Maxxis Holly Rollors on ours. We both find them ok for street and natural, but depending on what PSI you run you would probably run something with a thicker sidewall. I tend to use 60 PSI in mine so it rolls faster and I can feel every bump. If I did comps again which I may do the odd one this year. I'd probably run MAXXIS HIGH rollers F/R in single wall. Just to keep the weight down. I did use a double a few years back on a megamo which felt ok, but I like to save weight these days. 

Thanks chaps. Although I've been a mtber since 1992 and worked in the industry for the last 8 years I haven't met any trials riders so it really helpful to get pointed in the right direction from the people in the know. The bike I'm building has mostly XC  parts which I know aren't the best for trials but I want to keep things cheap before I know if I like it or not and I have accumulated masses of parts over the years.

oh and that leads me on to another question. Magura hs33s, I have the latest ones but also a few sets from the race line era, I've gone with the newer due to the lever being a closer match to the Magura disc brake I'll be running but the older ones look much tougher, any opinions ? 

56 minutes ago, Explosifpete said:

Thanks chaps. Although I've been a mtber since 1992 and worked in the industry for the last 8 years I haven't met any trials riders so it really helpful to get pointed in the right direction from the people in the know. The bike I'm building has mostly XC  parts which I know aren't the best for trials but I want to keep things cheap before I know if I like it or not and I have accumulated masses of parts over the years.

oh and that leads me on to another question. Magura hs33s, I have the latest ones but also a few sets from the race line era, I've gone with the newer due to the lever being a closer match to the Magura disc brake I'll be running but the older ones look much tougher, any opinions ? 

If you have the 14' hs33, it's the weakest. I'm not a 'new maguras are shit' promoter, their new discs are fine, but I snapped a 14', and I wasn't very good at the time. It took no impacts either. The old ones are pretty bomb proof. I had a 98" which could survive a nuclear warhead. The 04's are good too, just watch out for the TPA dial (that little dial in n the lever blade) as it's prone to breaking off in the event of a crash. The 05' are regarded as the best, they're prone to cracking but a small fix changes that. I also had a set of 11's, they feel quite spongy because of the massive lever blade, but mine were (and still are) really quite good. 

14 minutes ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

If you have the 14' hs33, it's the weakest. I'm not a 'new maguras are shit' promoter, their new discs are fine, but I snapped a 14', and I wasn't very good at the time. It took no impacts either. The old ones are pretty bomb proof. I had a 98" which could survive a nuclear warhead. The 04's are good too, just watch out for the TPA dial (that little dial in n the lever blade) as it's prone to breaking off in the event of a crash. The 05' are regarded as the best, they're prone to cracking but a small fix changes that. I also had a set of 11's, they feel quite spongy because of the massive lever blade, but mine were (and still are) really quite good. 

A quick search reveals I don't have the 14 which is good news!

not sure what ages these are, hopefully the good ones as I have 6 of them! 

image.jpeg