Front Hook Help

colly

right i hooked by a flook the other night about 40 inch if it was a hook :deej:" (N) :deej: but then i tried to do 52 inch(vertical step) in my local skate park (only got my front wheel over the top and never hit bash or got to back wheel) and im wondering how quick you have to go i had about 5-6 bike lenght run up and i pedeld to lift as i dont feel confident bunnyhopping up so could some one please give me a blufferes guide on how quick, to pedal or bunny hopped? can it be done by pedaling? and what is the best height to start on thanks :P :-

if you have the first video of andy thingy mubob(the american guy) koxx days video at the start it has a slow mo clip of benito ros doing a front hook!

i think if you watch this you could see how its done,

i no you have to move fast thou :P

Andrew Tonkery: AndrewT on here, AndyT on OTN (N)

The vid is Koxx Days THE ONE.

I think there was a post in NMC with a pictorial guide of how to do it, try a search for that? Seemed like it'd be pretty helpful :P

basically you go as fast as you dare/can. bunny hoping up is easier as you can get a fair bit more speed up.

it is very hard to learn im still struggling with verticle walls. manage to do it after a fair few attempts. try it on slightly off verticle walls it is suprisingly easier.

thats the thing i cant seem to get the hang of on the long bikes bunny hoping up 3ft walls to it will be hard for me to hook is it?

I'm not really sure of the bit you put before the bold type...

But yes, hooking is *in my mind* the hardest technique to get down.

With the possible exception of brakeless wedges, but thats a whole different story.

So yeh, it is hard.

Bunny hopping into it is relitively easy actually, as you don't have to do that much hopping, you just need to hop enough to get your front wheel over the top (Y)

the best technique for "26" is front touch to back or both wheels. However the hook is used quite abit in "26" inch to. try pulkling up about 1 1/2 bike lenghts before the obsticle if it's a big hook. For the bigger ones try rolling up to it at jogging pace. start slower and get faster.

-Hugh

ive always had issues with confidence on pulling the front wheel up with bunny hopping just incase the wheel plants into the step :huh:" any videos out now with a good front hook so i can look at it? thanks colly

Andrew Tonkery: AndrewT on here, AndyT on OTN (Y)

The vid is Koxx Days THE ONE.

any videos out now with a good front hook so i can look at it?  thanks colly

:huh:"

Yeh get that vid, it has a couple of hooks on walls, and numerous on natural 'walls'.

And you should have that vid in your collection anyways, as it owns :blink:

Bunny hopping is good if the surface before the object is flat and smooth, but if there is a dip before it, as there generally is when riding natural you have to pedel to avoid a nasty faceplant like I have done on many occasions.

You could start the bunny hop earlier but then it is not as efficient, and you may as well be pedeling up.

Chris

Koxx days one: could someone shack it or something please??

I think with front hooks, the more speed you have, the easier it is.. but obviously, if you miss judge it, the harder you hit the wall! i think the idea is to launch at it like its a rolling gap and keep your groin against the bars and your head up high, so when you hit the wall and the back wheel bounces, you have your body high enough to pull the bike upward...

Ry

I reckon something where you can hold your bike hanging over the wall with at least a foot between the back wheel and the ground. I've found that trying it on bigger stuff can be easier as (believe it or not) there's less room for error, you hit above the ground and you're not going to drag on the floor or anything.

I'm not really sure of the bit you put before the bold type...

But yes, hooking is *in my mind* the hardest technique to get down.

With the possible exception of brakeless wedges, but thats a whole different story.

So yeh, it is hard.

Bunny hopping into it is relitively easy actually, as you don't have to do that much hopping, you just need to hop enough to get your front wheel over the top :(

Ditto to the first bit, im just kinda getting the hang of it on very slightly slanted walls!

What's a brakeless wedge? :lol: I know, sorry...

Cheers,

Joe.

Ever see the Coustellier vid in Paris (forgot the name, my bad) where Giacomo gets 'stuck' between a green phone cable box and a telephone box? He then switches up to front wheel on top of the telephone box, drops off and receives applause from the crowd? That's a brakeless wedge.

Edit: Nevermind I got it wrong :(

I can kinda hook 7 pallets with a slightly slanted 1 on but doing vertical just seems impossible, I just hit and and fly backwards straight away :lol:

Edited by Python_Sam

Edit: Nevermind I got it wrong  :(

I can kinda hook 7 pallets with a slightly slanted 1 on but doing vertical just seems impossible, I just hit and and fly backwards straight away  :lol:

Im guessing what you need to do is make sure your body is over the front end so that your crotch is more towards the bars.

Thanks,

Callum