Full Bike Or Build From Parts

BETAstu

HI all,

I'm trying to get started in cycle trials..CHEAPLY.

I've seen a few frames for sale fairly cheap, but I have no idea roughly what a bunch of second hand bits might cost to complete the build.

Am I wasting my time thinking about that???...would it be best to just try and buy a complete bike??

any advice/ideas of rough prices would be very much appreciated.

STU

bike companies usually put cheaper parts on their complete bikes (such as bb, headset, bars, stem) to bring the cost down.

building a custom built bike will mean that the whole bike is branded, therefore alot better quality.

just pointing out the obvious...

Edited by Grant H

I would go for a fully build bike as you are a beginner. Once you have your bike just upgrade the different components when you feel they are letting you down and before you no it you will have your dream bike. :)

Edited by mr ?

hey i would say if u wanna keep the price down go for a full build but i would advise buyin parts and shoving them together if u could raise your budgets then u will learn about the bike and also have a bike that you have designed and u have no limits as well :P

Hey Stu :D I am in exactley the same boat at the moment but am leaning towards the build my own from bits to help spread the cost a bit.

Anyone have any opinions on the Onza Zoot? just thought a 24" would be a happy medium but can't seem to find many 24" specific trials bits or should I stick with a 26"?

Will add this bike is intended to help out for training for Moto trials

Thanks all for any advice

Thanks for the replies guys...all very helpfull.

I THINK I will probably try and build my own bike, since I'm not in a hurry I can also spread the cost then by getting a bit at a time.

:D

that is the same as i did and my bike has turned out amazing :D.

if you stick with trials it will be alot cheaper in the long run.

jeff

HI all,

I'm trying to get started in cycle trials..CHEAPLY.

I've seen a few frames for sale fairly cheap, but I have no idea roughly what a bunch of second hand bits might cost to complete the build.

Am I wasting my time thinking about that???...would it be best to just try and buy a complete bike??

any advice/ideas of rough prices would be very much appreciated.

STU

i would build from parts it might be a bit dearer but then you cant complain because u get the parts of your choice.i would have a look on ebay or on the forum for some cheap parts.

Its usually a lot better to customise the bike to be honest because in the long run it costs alot more to upgrade parts when they break. So if you have good parts to start with which will last longer, you will be saving money in the long run.

There are no local shops around hereford that do trials specific stuff so you will have to order online, or meet up with me cough, and buy some of my cough, stuff :shifty:

What sort of a bike are youlooking to get anyway? 26" mountainbike wheels or 20" bmx sized ?

Max...