Graphics Card, Need Help! :(

Concussion

A mate gave me a graphics/video card but I doesn't seem to fit? It's a Radeon 7000, I came to the conclusion it was an AGP slot compatible card = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BopjXneo8e4, but it doesn't seem to match with the slot in my PC.

What's going on / are there different types of AGP compatible cards. Can someone recommend me a card that would fit be it AGP or a PCI one as I think I have both slots, needs to be cheap = ebay... I only want it to stop the Sims 2 crashing on my system.

btw, I asked Dell to leave the G-card out of my system to save on costs, meaning I think I have some integrated graphics `thingy` built into my motherboard... that's a piece of crap right!

Hope someone can help, any other info you think I may need would be really appreciated!

Card/Slot

gcard.jpg

Slots

cardslots.jpg

Thanks Danny... the PC is a few years old, not as old as the G-card though I imagine.

Anyone recomend me an average cheap one? Think I'll have a quick look on ebay for PCI-E.

PS: what are those white slots for?

edit: crap, there are loads, I haven't got a clue which one to buy? :S

Edited by Concussion

It's integrated graphics which were never designed for anything more than basic office work, and watching videos etc. If you want something that will actually do something more than the integrated, then you'll want to spend about £50.

Anything for a fiver will probably be worse that what you've got.

Deh? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-nVidia-GeForce-7...1QQcmdZViewItem Is newer than my one! And 512, i'm fairly sure my current one is 256. Mines a Nvidia geforce 6200 LE.

I'm not a hardware man myself, so no flamez if i'm wrong :D

Deh? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-nVidia-GeForce-7...1QQcmdZViewItem Is newer than my one! And 512, i'm fairly sure my current one is 256. Mines a Nvidia geforce 6200 LE.I'm not a hardware man myself, so no flamez if i'm wrong :D
Its turbocache memory. Which means in order to have 512mb of gfx ram it'll rob some space from your normal ram... so theres less system ram available.

Concussion, heres a "cheap" one thats loads better than the 7000 you were wanting to fit.I know its not a fiver like you'd hoped... but to be honest, a card for a fiver will probably still crash your system playing sims 2.

Maybe this one depending on how much it goes for?

Edited by Krisboats

Cheers Kris, I'll keep an eye on them! (Y)

the turbocache stuff isn't the end of the world. I've got a 7300 with 256mb real memory and 256mb turbocache in my laptop. It handles 3dsmax, maya, zbrush etc very happily.

where it falls down is recent games, you have to turn everything down to get decent frame rates but i've yet to find a game i flat out couldn't run.

kris is right though - go for a 6600gt or 7600gt, life'll just be a little bit better