Echo Brake: Interesting Problem.

Dan6061

Got a strange problem with my Echo brake. After finding out the thread in the TPA was a bit fecked, I took it all out, fiddled with it a bit, then got it working again.

But now the brake is actualy SOLID just as the pads touch the rim. It's not even set up that brilliantlt, but there's no flex at all. Even when it felt fine yesterday (tiny bit of flex, how I like it)

No matter how close the pads are to the rim, the lever is nearly at the bars. Even after i've bled it properly.

It's like the piston is bottoming out, but it's properly bled and set up? :blink:

But it is? I'm sure of it.

Strange how when I ride in my village it works awesome, then today it was barely working.

Thing is, it seems to bottom out JUST as the pads touch the rim, so it can stop me, but doesn't hold or anything.

Good way to see if it is bled right is to use one hand to pull the lever and one hand to feel the pads. If the pads start moving just as you start pulling the lever, it should be pretty much air free.

i did a perfect bleed today with the help of peter b, but we had to let some water out because my pads are too close to the rim. with the tpa all the way out the lever would bite too far out, and i cant be bothered adjusting the pads. :P

Bad bleed, definetly.

I had it on my 05 front magura, exact same feel/problem, sorted by a better [bath] bleed.

And, when it was f**ked, the tpa tended to slip down the thread on the pokey bit, as it was a bit fecked, then when i bled it again, it was fine.

Fairly sure it was because i bled it with the TPA all the way in, even though i was sure it was all the way out.

Edited by Fat Pants

Well before I did a bath bleed, which was perfect!

This time I connected it to my hose (garden tap) and blasted water through it. :P

Will have to do a bath bleed again then. It'll scratch the paint off my bars. :(

Well before I did a bath bleed, which was perfect!

This time I connected it to my hose (garden tap) and blasted water through it. :P

Will have to do a bath bleed again then. It'll scratch the paint off my bars. :(

There's usually air bubbles in the mains you numpty!

But it is? I'm sure of it.

:- Thats your problem right there. The force the waters coming out at excites the water molecules and you get random pockets of air/hydrogen coming out.... which will now be inside your brake. You need to do it with still water or at the most, to squirt it through with a syringe slowly.

Hi,

I had trouble bleeding mine, but Adam suggested that as a final step I screw a length of hose into the lever bleed hole and then pull the lever to squeeze out any air trapped in the body. It worked so well, I went a little further and screwed the TPA all the way in, then pulled the lever to the bar, loads of air bubbles travelled up the length of hose, then I topped up the hose with enough oil to let the lever back out, then i carried on topping up the hose as i needed to while backing out the TPA. Brake works great now, it was horrible before i did this.

Hope it helps

Duane.

haha

deng bleeding tubs, in any anodised colour

well good

EDIT: guys can anybody help, what size thread is it where the hose connects into the lever, is it M6x1.0 or M8x0.75, and what is it at the hose end that comes from the lever into the caliper? Adam@tartybikes can you help?

Edited by speedyjustice

what size thread is it where the hose connects into the lever, is it M6x1.0

All fittings are that size :)

As Duane said, there is a little trick to get a perfect bleed. Obviously you need a syringe/bleed hose to do it, but you should have one anyway, you can't bleed a good brake without one...

Right, Just bath bled it.

Was perfect once I'd finished.

Put it on the bike, set it up, wound the TPA in a bit until it felt right, then it went mushy and was coming back to the bar?

The pistons haven't slipped in the mounts, and it's not showing any obvious signs of leaking.

I wound the TPA out, pulled it, and the pads barely move.

So it's leaking from somewhere, but I can't figure out where? - All hoses are done up, bleed bolts are tight, hose is fine.

Lever piston looks fine.

:blink:

How the feck do I bleed this brake properly? :blink:

Pointed the lever at the floor, then bled it with the syringe on the caliper piston, and let the water come out the lever. Then do the lever bleed bolt up when it's just water coming through, then take the syringe and piper out, and put the other bleed bolt in.

All with the TPA out..

Feels mint at first, do up the TPA, then undo it to check, and it's just crap again...