Anyone Own A Giant Trance?

trialsguru

im looking into saving up and getting a new bike. i want to ride xc/single track/light freeride/light downhill on it and im looking at the giant trance.

does anyone own or has ridden one of these? are they strong enough to cope with slightly aggressive riding?

or can anyone point me in the direction of anything else that would be suitable

Giant Trance.

thanks

pete

Id sey it depends which your doing most? If your light freeriding/ all mountain riding id go for the reign, its more capable on that kind of thing and with a light build would still be a very capable climer?

the trance is much more an all out xc bike, although it would take a fair beating im sure.

for the drops and things id deffinatly go for the reign.

But it really does depend, if its mostly just gentle flat xc rides then go for the trance (Y)

you can make a reign pretty light and xc. it just has that little extra beef that makes it more versatile.

pbpic1314256.jpg

Edited by tom132

Nah, you want one of these. 5.5" of travel, they also do a 4" one (kinda like the difference between the Trance/Reign). I am actually very seriously considering getting one, though I'd probably wait for the 08 version (pictured) which looks much nicer. Though I couldn't really justify the top spec 5.5.1 (pictured), they do a cheaper 5.5.2 and an even cheaper 5.5.3.

pbpic1390468.jpg

Alternatively, what about the new Trance X? Heavier duty than the normal Trance but lighter than the Reign.

giant08_trancex_hi.jpg

I was actually thinking of making a topic about this - What do people think of riding full sus? Being a trials rider I quite like my technical uphills, and on my Marin hardtail I am OK. But I'm not sure if getting a full susser would destroy this, or if it would just be all-round more fun? In terms of weight, the Marin is a porker at 32lbs and the Commencal full susser actually weighs less.

Nah, you want one of these. 5.5" of travel, they also do a 4" one (kinda like the difference between the Trance/Reign). I am actually very seriously considering getting one, though I'd probably wait for the 08 version (pictured) which looks much nicer. Though I couldn't really justify the top spec 5.5.1 (pictured), they do a cheaper 5.5.2 and an even cheaper 5.5.3.

pbpic1390468.jpg

Alternatively, what about the new Trance X? Heavier duty than the normal Trance but lighter than the Reign.

giant08_trancex_hi.jpg

I was actually thinking of making a topic about this - What do people think of riding full sus? Being a trials rider I quite like my technical uphills, and on my Marin hardtail I am OK. But I'm not sure if getting a full susser would destroy this, or if it would just be all-round more fun? In terms of weight, the Marin is a porker at 32lbs and the Commencal full susser actually weighs less.

I've recently gone from a hardtail to a full susser. But I ride more downhill than uphill :P I've found with the full susser that I can push it a lot harder on the downhills but also relax a lot more on the flats and uphills. Itgs defo a lot more all round fun. My bikes defo at the heavy end of all-mountain freeride but because of the adjustable geometry its more than capable of tackling the odd xc blast.

Photo-0115.jpg

hmm quite liking the commencal, whats the price of the cheaper one? im hoping to get an 07 model bike when the 08's come out as i dont really want to spend a great deal more than £900 just incase i dont enjoy it.

You MIGHT be able to get a 5.5.3 for that in the sales. I saw one that was on sale for £900 I think, but only in S or XL. Normal sizes are £1050-1100 ish (E.g. HERE), RRP is £1299. The '08 ones look nicer and apparently have slightly tweaked geo, stiffer back end (monocoque swinger) and better spec, for the same RRP.

There is a stupidly cheap deal HERE but it's for the Supreme 'Mini-DH'. Would make an awesome DH bike on the cheap. £810 for this beast -

commencal_meta6.3.jpg

I'd always go for a 17 and I'm 5"11 with pretty normal proportions. If you've got long legs and a short body then get a smaller frame than your leg size might dictate and run the saddle quite high, as frames are scaled proportionally and so a larger frame would end up too long in the top tube length.

They do a few, the 4" travel bikes are a bit cheaper so maybe check out the 2007 4.3, might be in your price range. Although I don't know about how they compare to other 4" bikes. The 5.5 gets amazing reviews though, and the 4" one has the same frame design.

i work in a bike shop and were a big giant dealer. gotta say the trance is defo a capable xc trail bike, surprisingly strong and can be built up nice and light. the trance x would be perfect really, 240 gms lighter than this yers trance frame and a bit more travel. saying that, we've got the trance 3 on sale for 699 available in all sizes, you'd want a large, which is a 19" frame, im 5'8/9" and ride a 17" medium. the curved top tube gives you the standover height of a smaller frame but you'll benefit from having a top tube of the right length for your body size. the suspension design is awesome, fully active, very little pedal bob, no brake jack, just works like it should. i find my 40lbs giant glory zero easier to pedal up to the start of the dh course than my old 36 lbs specialized sx. you really wont go wrong with a giant, they are awesome :D any questions ask away (Y)

My old man had a trance and does alot of XC on it and apparently the sun shines outa its ass. Hes a hard man to please with bikes so id say its a very good frame. Ive been on it a few times and it is very nice, but he said the front forks it came with were wank. But i guees that depends on the spec youre getting.

curly freak, the trance 3 on sale is it the 07 or 06? would i really want such a big frame? im only a little squirt! ive got an 18" hard tail and its massive on me. would i not be better off with a 16 or 17".

also how much punishment could i give the trance?

Frame sizes are weird though. My hardtail is only 14" and I'm 6' but it's rated as a medium (though I really should have bought a large). And it's actually pretty long - with a slightly longer seatpost it fits me perfect.

right so i went out on my scrappy feebie spare bits bike tonight and really enjoyed myself but i didnt exactly stay within the "XC" bracket lol.

so im thinking the trance might not be suited to what i want to do (i dont mind being proved wrong..)

ive seen the gt i-drive xcr 5 and i can get it for £619, which also seems better specced than the trance, i just cant find any reviews anywhere.

he's the spec etc gt xcr5

does anyone know anygood review sites?

thanks again

pete

Edited by trialsguru

http://www.marin.co.uk/

I post this every time someone asks for help selecting a XC/Fun bike, but again I will say it:

Look at the Hard Tail range from Marin. I have a 2005 Marin Rocky Ridge and its an awesome bike for the money, I made a few modifications when I could afford them and its all good :) (Thin Bars, crappy pedals and Shimano hubs all needed changing :P )

http://www.marin.co.uk/

I post this every time someone asks for help selecting a XC/Fun bike, but again I will say it:

Look at the Hard Tail range from Marin.

I could not agree more. In fact, if anyone wants to buy a Marin Wildcat Trail (2004) for £300 let me know. It's a Medium but I ride it and I'm 6', though this would probably better suit someone 5'8" - 5'11" I guess. I've had it less than a year, I bought it in November 2006.

Because:

I just ordered one of these :o

commencal_meta553.jpg

For the bargain price of £900 - down from £1300. It would have been rude NOT to... In fact I've saved £400! Woohoo. It's from Merlin - large only I'm afraid but that's what you were after I think?

I could not agree more. In fact, if anyone wants to buy a Marin Wildcat Trail (2004) for £300 let me know. It's a Medium but I ride it and I'm 6', though this would probably better suit someone 5'8" - 5'11" I guess. I've had it less than a year, I bought it in November 2006.

Because:

I just ordered one of these :o

For the bargain price of £900 - down from £1300. It would have been rude NOT to... In fact I've saved £400! Woohoo. It's from Merlin - large only I'm afraid but that's what you were after I think?

Oh my, I do like Commencals