Processor Help

Wrayvon

Finally going to have some funds to get dual core.

To buy:

Option 1 -

pentium d processor -935,940,945 (any of them 3)

1 gig of ddr ram (already got 1 gig)

Option 2 -

Core 2 duo e6750

2 gigs of ddr2 ram

new motherboard

I realise the 2nd is going to be more expensive, but is it worth it? Is there a shit load of difference with the core 2 duo's and the pentium d's. Basically is it worth me changing more hardware just so i can have a core2 duo.

Also, where can i buy OEM processors?

Cheers

Wray

Edited by Merlin man

C2Ds are a whole new league to Pentium Ds.

I would definitely go for that spec, especially with the recent price drop.

Over clockers do a few OEM processors, but you don't really save anything unless you buy an after market fan, because they don't come with them.

Edited by Haz

I don't know if your aware of this but most e6300/6320 Core 2 duo's overclock to around 3.2 ghz on air cooling if fitted with a half decent motherboard and some 6400 RAM.

Unless your after a clock speed of around 3.6-3.9ghz then the e6750's aren't any different to the e6300's.

I don't know if your aware of this but most e6300/6320 Core 2 duo's overclock to around 3.2 ghz on air cooling if fitted with a half decent motherboard and some 6400 RAM.

Unless your after a clock speed of around 3.6-3.9ghz then the e6750's aren't any different to the e6300's.

No I wasn't aware :P Never treied overclocking so I wouldn't know what I was doing.

Guessing you also think I should go for c2d then. As I say, I'm looking for an OEM one as I have no need for the fan/manual etc.

So if you can recommend somewhere, and also what you think I should get, then I shall look into it.

Cheeers

Riiiight

Well in that case, can you help me find a MB that takes quad core socket 775 and 800hz ram. Thats not ridicularly expensive.

Cheers

EDIT ignore that, i've found one. Another question though that i've never been sure on. If the motherboard says it takes up to 1333mhz FSB will a 1066mhz processor work fine?

Thinking of this MB:

Here

Ta

Edited by Merlin man