My Brake Pad Is At A Weird Angle - Bike Shop Job?

txt2007

hey I've only been riding bike trials for 4 weeks had a couple minor problems along the way but now I've messed it up again and i really don't know what to do.

I got a few pictures, I'm just wandering if the best thing to do is take it a bike shop or is it an easy fix?

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/OMSIBF/Photo-0057.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/OMSIBF/Photo-0053.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/OMSIBF/Photo-0056.jpg

and one of my old gas gas txt200 -

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/OMSIBF/Photo-0059.jpg

sorry about the bad quality all pictures where taken on an old phone and i was cold and shivering.

-------------------------

just read the wiki bit and is it a lazy piston? if so is it easier and cheaper to get it fixed at a shop than doing and making a mess of it myself?

Edited by txt2007

thanks. you make it sound really easy but is it really easy even for beginners? also i was told it was a lazy piston i read how to fix that on the wiki page and that didn't seem easy.

How much do you reckon it'd cost to get someone else fix it?

Its all pretty easy really just either undo the bolts on the magura and then realine the piston/pad and then you are ready to go and if it is a lazy piston then if you have a tpa then twist it to the - side then spray wd40 but just dont get it on your rim because the smallest spray is bad.

Other then that buddy it at all that hard really but when you do realine the brakes then make sure that before you do it again twist the tpa to the - sign then readjust the brake as the tpa is used really for wen your pads wear down mate.

Hope i helped.

Echo.Josh

X-x-X

• 8 months later...
Lazzy piston:undo the magura bolts take the affected side pad out pull lever and hold while spraying a little bit of wd40 on the cylinder then operate the lever and wipe off the cylinder put pad back in adjust ur cylinder up to the rim job done.

dave x

Wow, you don't have to go through all the hassle of rebleeding and all? Just good old wd40?

Wow, you don't have to go through all the hassle of rebleeding and all? Just good old wd40?

didn't really seem to work for me so its been not working fully uintill recently when i took it into the shop to get it bleeded (couldnt get my bleed to work)

Good to see you solved your minor problem. You really need to work on the bike yourself or with someone to show you. With taking it to the shop your never learn so it's kinda pointless unless it's an emergency.

well i'd bled it myself and it went poo within days so i tried bleeding it again and it just wouldnt work so i asked a friend and he couldnt get it to work so i took it the shop and they said i needed a new lever my mum took the call so not sure why but it works fine now, everything else i do, just turned it single speed which involved making my own lockring tool

Good to see you sorted it all out!

And if you can't get your bleeds to work, don't waste money at the bike shop - bath bleed it :D

Fill the bucket or the bath full of water.

Take the brake off of your bike and put it in the bucket/bath.

Undo both bleed bolts, the one on the lever and the one on the slave. (Underwater)

The method is tricky at first, but once you have the rhythm, it will take a minute at maximum.

Underwater: hold your finger over the hole on the slave cylinder (remember, when you have your finger on the hole, make sure it is tight and sealed against the hole, other wise it will take longer to bleed and may effect performance), press the lever all the way down, then hold your finger over the hole on the lever body, take your finger off the hole on the slave cylinder and release the lever fully, repeat until you no longer see any air coming out.

Do up both of the bleed bolts. (Again, underwater)

Take the brake out and it should be air free.

And incase you didn't already know, your validated :)

Edited by cai

yeah i know wasnt when i started the topic though last year spaceman brought it back up so i thought id reply to him and if the lever had gone then there'd be nothing i could dobikes cost me over 160 quid in the last couple of weeks new bleed new lever then the derrailer (sp?) snapped so i converted it to single speed and now im buying new cranks because they keep wobbling no matter how much locite's on there. Dam bike cutting into my mod money!