Diy Or To A Bike Shop

JohnBanks

Right I have a profile mini cassette hub it’s a bout a year old and it has been skipping every so often and I was thinking it is time for a service.

So do you think I should service I myself, take it to a local bike shop (Evans cycle) or send of to tartybikes.

Help would be much appreciated

And if I was to send it of to tartybikes how would I do it? Eg: posting and cost ect.

Thanks John...

Right, Profile's are seriously easy to service, just follow this guide (that I've literally just written).

Take it off the bike, obviously, and keep the non-drive side bolt in, get a rubber maller, and bash the axle out.

Don't worry about messing the threads up, they're silly strong!

Once you've done that, the driver (still attached to the axle) should come out, one of the hub bearings will probably still be on the axle, you'll need to take the driver off the axle so you can put it all back together properly!

To take it off, get a vice, and put the bolt back into the drive side.

Close the vice so the teeth of the cog stop it from falling down. Hard to explain...

What you need to do, is bash the bolt so it pushes the axle out. Once you've done that, the driver should be off the axle, and the hub bearing will still be in place.

Give the axle a good clean, and lube the bearings up. The slot the axle back into place.*

Now you've got that all apart, it's time to clean it all!

Carefully take the pawls and springs out, *make a note of how they're in the driver though*, and put them somewhere where you won't lose them.

*Now you have just the driver on it's own, slot it over the hub bearing that's not pressed into the hubshell, and carefully knock the top of the driver with a rubber mallet. This should make the bearing and axle sit nicely in place.

Take the driver back off the axle.

Get some GT85/WD40, and spray the pawls and springs, and around the ratchet (teeth in the hubshell)

Once you've drenched all that, get some kitchen roll and just wipe all the crap out of it. (Just clean it all)

Now put the springs and pawls back in place, making sure they go in the right way!

If you have some, drip some wet lubricant (Finishline, Bikehut stuff etc) on everything, if not, just drench it all in GT85/WD40.

Now putting the driver back in place is fiddly, but not hard at all.

You have to hold all the pawls down so the driver can just slip into the ratchet. You'll have to turn the driver about so they all slip in place.

Right, when you boshed the axle off, the metal presses should've came off too, Black one for the non-drive side, silver for the drive side.

All you have to do to put those back on is knock them on with the rubber mallet. They literally just wedge on the ends of the axle to keep it all in place, and give the hub the correct spacing.

Hopefully all that is understandable.

If you have any problems PM me.

Use anytime of greece/lube

you can never have to litle or too much lube!

That's bollocks on all counts. Too much will choke it, as will too heavy. Too little will do f**k all, as will too light. Profiles run dry from the factory (or did last time I saw a new one), a little light oil will work well, 3in1, finishline wet etc. (dry lubes arent really what you want, they just dont do the job)