New Monitor Comp Use And Tv

thesubway

Right, my monitor has decided to play up so I'm going to buy a new one. Would anyone be able to give me advise to help me get a monitor that is decent for under £200 if possible. I would like it to be around 20" but i would also like to use it as a TV. Does anyone on here also use their monitor for TV use? If so is it worth it?

Cheers, Adam

As in use it as a tv, like use a tv card in the computer. I don't want an actual tv in my room I want to use my computer monitor for it. Im not 100% sure what I would need to do to get it to work but i guess it would just mean plugging in a tv card with an ariel then connecting it to the monitor?

I use a tv card, the fact you can record programs to your hard drive makes it a more sensible choice than a tv screen.

Get the tv card and a 20-22" monitor. It won't look amazing because its only freeview not a dedicated HD source like sky HD but its still decent enough and looks the same as watching a 20-22" tv.

You definitely don't want to use a TV for a computer screen. The other way round (using a computer screen for TV) is fine - I watch TV on my computer all the time. You need a TV card/USB receiver. I've got a USB Hauppauge one which is digital terrestrial (Freeview) and it's about £35. It works OK but sometimes needs unplugging/plugging back in to work, so I'd imagine a PCI (internal) one would be better if you can install it.

That monitor will be OK and it will work, but I wouldn't hold my breath for the quality of it. You can spend up to £400 on a 22" widescreen TFT so one for £160 won't be amazing... It might be worth getting a 19/20" one because that will probably be better quality for the money.

Ive got a 22" Widescreen LG tft that cost £200 and the brightness/contract beats my 12 month old 19" £300 Samsung.

Although the colour on the 2 dell 22" wide tft's i have at work isnt the best.

Samsung also do a few 22" monitors with built in tv tuners (monitors not tv's) so you could use one of those without the pc being on.